In order to eradicate fake universities from the country, the University Grants Commission identified 24 universities running fake, and released the list as soon as they got identified, and also sent a legal notice to two of them. As per IANS, this came in a written reply in Parliament on Thursday by Satya Pal Singh, Minister of State for Human Resource Development.
The Universities that received FIR are:
- Institute of Planning and Management (IIPM) in Delhi
- Bio-Chemic Education Grants Commission in Nadia, West Bengal
The 24 Universities that are recognized to be fake are:
- Maithili University/Vishwavidyalaya, Darbhanga, Bihar
- Commercial University Ltd., Daryaganj, Delhi
- United Nations University, Delhi
- Vocational University, Delhi
- ADR-Centric Juridical University, ADR House, 8J, Gopala Tower, 25 Rajendra Place, New Delhi – 110 008
- Indian Institute of Science and Engineering, New Delhi
- Viswakarma Open University for Self-Employment, Rozgar Sewasadan, 672, Sanjay Enclave, Opp. GTK Depot, Delhi-110033
- Adhyatmik Vishwavidyalaya (Spiritual University), 351-352, Phase-I, Block-A, Vijay Vihar, Rithala, Rohini, Delhi-110085
- Badaganvi Sarkar World Open University Education Society, Gokak, Belgaum, Karnataka
- St. John’s University, Kishanattam, Kerala
- Raja Arabic University, Nagpur, Maharashtra
- Indian Institute of Alternative Medicine, Kolkatta
- Institute of Alternative Medicine and Research,8-A, Diamond Harbour Road, Builtech inn, 2nd Floor, Thakurpurkur, Kolkatta – 700063
- Varanaseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya, Varanasi (UP) Jagatpuri, Delhi
- Mahila Gram Vidyapith/Vishwavidyalaya, (Women’s University) Prayag, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
- Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith, Prayag, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh.
- National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose University (Open University), Achaltal, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh Vishwavidyalaya, Kosi Kalan, Mathura, Uttar Pradesh
- Maharana Pratap Shiksha Niketan Vishwavidyalaya, Pratapgarh, Uttar Pradesh
- Indraprastha Shiksha Parishad, Institutional Area, Khoda, Makanpur, Noida Phase-II, Uttar Pradesh
- Nababharat Shiksha Parishad, Anupoorna Bhawan, Plot No. 242, Pani Tanki Road, Shaktinagar, Rourkela-769014.
- North Orissa University of Agriculture & Technology, Odisha
- Sree Bodhi Academy of Higher Education, No. 186, Thilaspet, Vazhuthavoor Road, Puducherry-605009
“The UGC has issued show-cause/warning notices to fake universities and cautioned that running of undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses and giving misleading advertisements shall attract severe action under the provisions of appropriate laws including the UGC Act and the Indian Penal Code,” Satya Pal Singh, Minister of State for Human Resource Development, said.
As per the UGC Act, the penalty that is levied is of Rs 1000 against these fake universities.