Fine Art is the kind of Art which is originated for beautifying the different kinds of Arts which are mainly cultivated out of History of Fine Arts. The Five main fine Arts originated from history were history, music, poetry, performing arts, theatre, and dance.
These were the disciplines which hold importance due to their historical existence, but there are other disciplines which were born with advancing of technology, those were film, photography, video editing, video production, design, craft, conceptual art, printmaking
A degree in Fine Arts prepare the students to build their career in the field of visual arts or performing arts. A Bachelor degree in Fine Arts helps various artists inculcate and prove their creative expression and develop skills that will help them in future to secure jobs in art professional industries or promoting their art. A Bachelor Level Degree offers entry-level positions in various art-related industries such as galleries, museums, theatre companies etc. A Bachelor Degree can also help secure job positions such as Creative Writer, Actor/Director, Art Teacher, Art therapist, Dance Instructor etc.
A Master’s Degree is a degree which helps inculcate management skills along with Art skills. To be eligible to secure admission to a master’s degree, a bachelor degree in the same discipline is necessary. The Various Career opportunities offered after a Masters in Fine Arts are Curator, Appraiser, Costume Designer, Archivist, Non-Profit Administrator etc.
- 1. Delhi University- College of Arts
- 2. Banaras Hindu University, Faculty of Visual Arts
- 5. Kurukshetra University, Department of Fine Arts
- 6. Visva Bharati University, Kala Bhawan (Institute of Fine Arts)
- 7. L.S. Raheja School of Art, Mumbai
- 8. Aligarh Muslim University, Department of Fine Arts
- 9. Bhartiya Kala Mahavidyalaya, Pune
- 10. Amity School of Fine Arts, Amity University
The Top 10 Colleges to study Bachelors in Fine Arts and Masters in Fine Arts are listed below:
1. Delhi University- College of Arts
College of Art was established in 1942. The college run courses under the University of Delhi, New Delhi. College of Art is affiliated to Delhi University. It offers various undergraduate degrees in the field of Fine Arts. The Undergraduate Degrees offered by the college are:
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Applied Art
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Art History
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Painting
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Print Making
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Sculpture
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Visual Communication
The Postgraduate degrees offered by the college are:
- Master of Fine Arts in Applied Arts
- Master of Fine Arts in Painting
- Master of Fine Arts in Print Making and Graphics
- Master of Fine Arts in Visual Media
- Master of Fine Arts in Sculpture
The Admission is purely based on merit.
2. Banaras Hindu University, Faculty of Visual Arts
Banaras Hindu University is one of the prominent institutions of India. It was established in 1916. The Faculty of Visual Arts is affiliated to Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi. The college offers 4 years undergraduate program in Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) Degree. There are five different Departments in the Faculty of Visual Arts that offers Undergraduate (UG) and Postgraduate (PG) degrees. Those are listed below:
- Applied Arts
- Plastic Arts
- Pottery and Ceramic
The Admission process involves online registration of the eligible students. The admission is purely based on merit.
3. Jamia Millia Islamia, Faculty of Fine Arts
Jamia Millia Islamia University was established in 1920. In 1962, the University Grants Commission declared the Jamia a ‘deemed to be University’.It offers various undergraduate and postgraduate courses. The college offers various undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the field of Fine Arts. It has various departments in this faculty namely
- Department of Painting- This Department offers B.F.A. and M.F.A in Painting
- Department of Applied Art- This Department offers B.F.A. and M.F.A (Applied Art)
- Department of Art Education- This Department offers B.F.A. and M.F.A in Art Education
- Department of Sculpture- This Department offers B.F.A. and M.F.A in Sculpture
The Admission process involves an entrance test.
4. Sir JJ Institute of Applied Art
Sir Jamsetjee Jeejeebhoy Institute of Applied Art is a private institute affiliated to the University of Mumbai. It was established in 1935 and was awarded, an independent institute in 1961. The Institute offers four years undergraduate program in Bachelor of Fine Arts and two years of Masters of Fine Arts. The college involves an online application process where interested applicants are expected to fill in their interests and academic achievements. It also offers Additional Courses which are Apprentice Training Course in Photography, Apprentice Training Course in Interior Decoration.
5. Kurukshetra University, Department of Fine Arts
Kurukshetra University is one of the Top ranked University for Fine Arts in India. It was established in 1957, the department of fine arts was established in 1995. The University is founded by the first President of India Dr. Rajendra Prasad. The University is a member of Association of India Universities(AIU). It is recognized by the University Grants Commission(UGC), also been awarded ‘A’ by National Assessment and Accreditation Council(NAAC). It offers Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) Painting, Applied Art and Sculpture, which is for four years, and two years of Masters in Fine Arts in similar disciplines.
6. Visva Bharati University, Kala Bhawan (Institute of Fine Arts)
Visva Bharati University is one of the most prominent Fine Arts Colleges in India. It offers practice and research of Visual Arts, categorized in subjects like painting, sculpture, design and art history. It was established in 1863 by Debendranath Tagore, the father of the great poet Rabindranath Tagore. Visva Bharati was declared as a central university in 1951. It offers various undergraduate and postgraduate courses:
- Four years B. Fine Arts (Honours) (B.F.A)
- Diploma Courses in:
- Graphic Art (Print Making)
- Design (Textile)
- Design (Ceramic)
- History of Art [only for B.F.A.(Hons.)].
- Two-year Certificate Course in Design.
- Bridge Course (leading to M.F.A.) in History of Art Course (three years [one year Bridge course + two-year regular course]) for students from other than Fine Arts discipline.
One Year Casual Course for Indian Nationals in Painting / Sculpture / Graphic Art (Print Making) / Design (Textile / Ceramic) / History of Art
7. L.S. Raheja School of Art, Mumbai
The L.S. Raheja School of Art was formerly known as Bandra School of Art and was founded in 1953. The art school is situated in Mumbai. The school has introduced courses in animation and Visual and Communication Art in 1994. The L. S. Raheja School of Art conducts classes courses which are recognized by Government of Maharashtra, it conducts specialization courses of Drawing and Painting and Applied Art which are conducted for the duration of 4 years. All the admissions are to be given on the basis of the merit obtained by the students in the previous Examination.
It offers Undergraduate Diploma in:
- Govt. Certificate in Certificate Course in Craft Teacher
- Certificate in Photography
- Diploma in Digital Film Making
- UG Diploma in Visual and Communication Art
- Diploma in Fashion Technology
- UG Diploma in 2D and 3d Animation.
8. Aligarh Muslim University, Department of Fine Arts
Aligarh Muslim University is an Indian public central university. It was originally established by Sir Syed Ahmad Khan as Mohammedan Anglo-Oriental College in 1875. The Muhammadan Anglo-Oriental College became Aligarh Muslim University in 1920. The main campus of AMU is located in the city of Aligarh. It offers Bachelor of Fine Arts as an undergraduate degree with specializations of Painting. The Admission process involves Departmental Test Course (Admission through Test conducted by the department).
It offers various undergraduate and postgraduate and doctoral courses as follows:
- B.F.A. (Bachelor of Fine Arts) Painting
- BA (Hons.) Painting
- M.F.A. (Master of Fine Arts) Specialization: Painting
- Ph.D. in Fine Arts
- P.G. Diploma in Applied Arts (a programme under CPC)
- Pre-M.F.A. (Bridge Course)
9. Bhartiya Kala Mahavidyalaya, Pune
Bharati Vidyapeeth was the very first university to introduce a degree in Fine Art under University of Pune through the establishment of Bharati Vidyapeeth’s Bharati Kala Mahavidyalaya (College of Fine Arts). It was established in 2000 by Dr. Patangrao Kadam. It is affiliated to Bhartiya Vidyapeeth University. It only offers Bachelors of Fine Arts specializing in Applied Arts.
10. Amity School of Fine Arts, Amity University
Amity School of Fine Arts (ASFA) was established in September 2004, affiliated to Amity University. Amity School of Fine arts conducts four years of BFA Applied Arts, Painting & Animation, Visual Communication programme, 2 years of MFA Applied Arts, Painting and Visual Communication programme and Ph.D. in Fine Arts (full time and part-time). The Admission is through the filling of Online Application forms following the further selection processes.