DU Admissions: Aspirants brawl over cut-off ‘misprint’

On Tuesday, many students reached Shaheed Bhagat Singh (Evening) College to take admission in BCom course, but were told they were not eligible. This occurred due to a ‘misprint’ in the fifth cut-off list and caused brawl at the desk.

Principal P K Khurana said, “Yesterday (Monday), when the cut-off was being uploaded, the clerk typed eight instead of nine by mistake, making it 80% instead of 90%. When we came to know about it in the morning, we immediately sent it to the university, and the corrigendum was up by 10 am. Since we are an evening college, admission was to begin at 4 pm. But some politically motivated people looking for mileage created a ruckus.”

Khurana exclaimed that after realizing they would be denied admission, the students, led by the college students’ union, turned to aggressive mediums of communication. The situation got worse enough to make the police step in to stop students from barging into the principal’s room. “We couldn’t admit any student today because of all the ruckus. Some students tried to break the lock of the principal’s office. Some nuisance creaters also tried to break college property. As a result, we had to call police and admissions couldn’t take place,” says the P K Khurana.

In spite of what the principal says, College president Deepanshu Lohia, from the ABVP claimed there had been no violence.

He argued, “The corrigendum should have been issued immediately instead of in the morning, since students don’t go back six hours later to check the DU website again once they have already met the cut-off. There were around 250-300 students who landed up at the college, and the principal denied them admission.”

He continued saying, “The principal, in fact, left the college through the back gate. Police were deployed and they shut the main college gate.”

READ: DUSU barges on DU campus, admin calls police

READ: DU colleges on verge of losing financial support from Delhi govt