Panjab University held its 68th Annual Convocation ceremony in the University Gymnasium, Chandigarh on April 28th at 10:00 am, whose rehearsal was already in continuation from the previous day 27th April.
VP Singh Badnore, University Administrator & Punjab Governor appeared his prestige presence as a guest and M Venkaiah Naidu, Varcity Chancellor & Vice-President of India was invited as the Chief Guest of the occasion.
The Vice-President rolled out a beneficial guidance to the students, who were attending the convocation.
Highlighted statements from the speech:
- The youth of our nation must shoulder the greater social responsibility of exercising judgement in looking at social issues.
- Adviced the students to adhere to the traditions of tolerance and respect and protect our pluralistic culture.
- Urged all stake holders of the Panjab University to keep up the momentum of their good work and not let complacency set in.
- We must re-think and re-orient our educational system in the context of 21st century when the concerns of ecology, human welfare and the welfare of the planet are equally imperative.
- We have to have institutions, which are continuously nourished by five important streams of inquisitiveness, innovation, ethos that inspire inspiration, integration, which encourages inter-disciplinary and collaborative learning and an internalized value system just like Punjab, which is irrigated with 5 rivers.
Also Dr K Sivam, Chairman of Indian Space Research organisation was conferred with Vigyan Ratan at the ceremony.
This year too women have overpowered men in terms of education. Total of 330 women received the Ph.D degree in comparison to men,who received 163 degrees.