IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) Goa has recently organised an Outreach Program for the students studying in the rural schools of Ponda; a city located in South Goa district. The program was organised by IIT Goa’s recently established Centre- Centre for Appropriate Technology for Rural Sectors (CATeRS).
About the Program
The program was organised on March 9, 2019, wherein 52 students of Class lX along with ten teachers participated from 10 schools, located in and around Ponda city. It is the first Outreach Program organised by IIT Goa. The motive of the program is to-
- Get associated with schools, aiming to share some scientific and mathematical concepts.
- Act as a catalyst for igniting the curiosity and the development of scientific temperament in young minds.
Highlights from the Event:
- Faculty and students of IIT Goa conducted the lecture/talks and demonstration sessions on subjects of Science, Mathematics and Engineering.
- The teachers introduced the students with concepts of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Additive Manufacturing, the technology behind 3D printing.
- The faculty also helped students to carry out science experiments using everyday objects to generate interest in the subject.
B.K Mishra, Director, IIT Goa stated ” The program would be extended to other schools in Ponda as well as to schools in Sanguem, where the IIT’s permanent campus will come up.”