During the announcement of the Tamil Nadu budget for 2019-20, presented by the Chief Minister O Paneerselvam on Friday, it was announced that the state will witness the establishment of a new arts and science college, named after the Former President of India Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam.
“I am glad to announce that this government will establish a new art and science college at Rameswaram during 2019-20, which will be named after Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam,” he said, according to PTI.
During this he also mentioned achievements obtained by APJ Abdul Kalam:
- Kalam was the 11th President of India and served from 2002 to 2007
- He was a nuclear scientist and an acclaimed writer
- Kalam started working at a very young age since he came from a very poor background
- He was beloved among the student committee as he loved interacting with and inspiring youngsters
- He collapsed and died while delivering a lecture at the IIM-Shillong on July 27, 2015
- His body has been buried in Rameswaram, where he did his primary schooling
Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam was also honored earlier by the Tamil Nadu’s CM asserting that After the death of Kalam in 2015, J Jayalalithaa, who was the TN Chief Minister announced an award to be presented in his name.
The Kalam Award is facilitated to those recognized as providing an exceptional contribution to scientific development, humanities, and students’ welfare.
The then-CM also announced that Every year October 15 will be celebrated as Youth Awakening Day in the state.