There is a very few movie which is based on science-fiction (sci-fi) which are made in India. The main reason behind this is because a lot of producers and directors focus more on the action and romantic movies but despite this, there are a few science-fiction movies which are made in Bollywood.
Here is the list of ten Bollywood movies which are based on the science-fiction.
1.Mr.India – An Indian Bollywood science fiction superhero movie which has been made in the year 1987. The movie has been directed by Shekhar Kapur and was written by Salim-Javed. The movie features Anil Kapoor, Sridevi and Amrish Puri in the lead.
The movie ‘Mr.India’ has the highest grossing India film of 1987 and this is the one movie which has remained a cult classic in India. This movie is very well known for its songs and its dialogues and that also includes Sridevi’s performance on the Miss Hawa Hawa song.
The character which has been played by Amrish Puri is of Mogambo is one of the most popular characters and that has been considered as one of the villains in the Bollywood world. The movie has been declared as one of the 25 must-see Bollywood movies and also declared as one of the 100 Greatest Indian Films of all the time.
When it comes to Indian science fiction movies, this is must to watch.
2. RA One – RA One is another movie among bollywood sci fi movies. The movie which has been made in the year 2011 and it is an Indian superhero film which is directed by the director Anubhav Sinha.
The movie features Shah Rukh Khan, Arjun Rampal, Kareena Kapoor Khan, Armaan Verma, Shahana Goswami and Tom Wu in the pivotal role. However, the script of the movie is written by Anubhav Sinha and Kanika Dhillon but the idea was originated by the Anubhav Sinha and he got when he saw the television commercial and that was frequently expanded. In the movie, Shah Rukh Khan designed a game and that creates the motion-sensor based game in which the antagonist RA One is more powerful rather than the protagonist G.One. Later, the former escapes from the game’s virtual world and then he enters into the real world and his main aim is to kill Lucifer, and that is the game id of the Shekhar’s son and the only player to have challenged RA.One’s power. After this family forced out to bring out G.One from the virtual world of defeat RA.One and protests them.
The movie has a visual effect and it is involved in the 3-D conversation. The movie is made on the budget of 150 crores and it is one of the most expensive movies at the time of the release
3. Robot – The movie ‘Robot’ which is an Indian science fiction movie and it is directed by S. Shankar and it is co-written along with the Sujatha Rangarajan. The movie features Rajinikanth and Aishwarya Rai in the lead roles. The music in the movie has been composed by the A.R Rahman. The movie revolves around the struggle of the scientist Vaseegaran (the character played by Rajinikanth) and he struggles to control his creation, an android with a name Chitti (the character which is also played by the Rajinikanth) after the Chitti’s software is upgraded to give it the ability to comprehend and exhibit the human emotions. However, the project backfires when the robot falls in love with the scientist’s girlfriend. This movie marked the debut of the legacy effect studio in the Hindi cinema. The movie released in October 2010 and the movie has been released in the Hindi and Telugu language. The movie has been produced by the Kalanithi Maran and the movie is said to be one of the most expensive movies at that time when it got released. The movie got many positive reviews and has also marked the top-earning Indian film of the year 2010 and it is the fourth highest grossing South Indian films of all the time.
4. Koi Mil Gaya and Krrish series – The Krrish is a franchise of the Indian science fiction films, it has television series, video games, comics and much more. The movie which is directed, produced and written by Rakesh Roshan. The movie has been considered as the Indian cinema’s first such movie series. All the three movies feature Rakesh Roshan’s son Hrithik Roshan in the lead and the movies have been scored by his brother Rajesh Roshan. The movie revolves around the mentally handicapped boy and that boy has been an encounter with an extraterrestrial being and was later, his son grows up to be a reluctant superhero. However, the first two movies were the blockbuster in the Indian market and have hit the overseas markets. The third movie of the movie which released on November 1, 2013, and was declared as a blockbuster and that shatter many box office records grossing over the 3 billion at the Box office. In the year 2013, there was an animated television series which were based on this Krrish film series and the makers of the show named as Kid Krrish and that has aired on the Cartoon Network India. However, the movie ‘Krrish’ is the third highest-grossing film series in the Bollywood world.
5. Love Story 2050 – The movie which got released in the year 2008 and it is an Indian science fiction romance film. The movie features Harman Baweja and Priyanka Chopra in the lead. However, some parts of the movie filmed in the Adelaide, Australia. Earlier, the movie was supposed to release it on December 21, 2007, but later the movie got postponed and released it on July 4, 2008, and that has been done due to the extensive post-production work. There were a lot of similarities to the 1991 Telugu movie titled ‘Aditya 369’ while the movie dealt with the travel to the past as well as the dystopian post-apocalyptic future. The movie is all about the traveling and that to a utopian future-city of Mumbai in the year 2050. The movie ‘Love Story 2050’ marks the first utopian time travel film of Bollywood. The movie did not score well at the Box office and it has been noted that the movie understands the cultural anxieties about India’s neoliberal future captured in the cinematic imagination of the utopian city.
6. Action Replayy – The movie ‘Action Replay’ is an Indian sci fi romantic comedy film which is directed by the director Vipul Shah. The movie features Akshay Kumar and Aishwarya Rai in the lead roles. However, Aditya Roy Kapoor, Neha Dhupia, Om Puri, Kirron Kher and Rajpal Yadav are in the supporting roles in the movie. The movie was scheduled for the release coinciding with Diwali 2010. The movie is based on the 1985 film which is back to the future. Director of the movie Vipul Shah insisted that it is an adaptation of a Gujarati play and that too with the same name and by the H.G Wells ‘The Time Machine’.
7. P.K– The movie P.K is an Indian satirical science fiction comedy movie. It is directed by Rajkumar Hirani and produced by the Rajkumar himself and Vidhu Vinod Chopra and it is written by Hirani and Abhijat Joshi. The movie features Aamir Khan in the title role and along with him, there were actress Anushka Sharma, Sushant Singh Rajput, Boman Irani, Saurabh Shukla and Sanjay Dutt were there in the supporting roles. However, the movie revolves around the story of an alien who comes to Earth on a research mission and then later in the movie he befriends a television journalist and question religious dogma and superstitions. The movie P.K received the positive reviews and the movie is one of the highest grossing Indian films of all the time and ranks as the 70th highest grossing film of 2014 worldwide. The movie P.K was the first Indian movie who has earned more than the 7 Billion and has earned US$ 100 million worldwide.
8. Creature 3D– The movie ‘Creature 3D’ is a 2014 Indian 3D monster horror movie which has been directed by Vikram Bhatt. The movie features Bipasha Basu and Imran Abbas in the lead role. The movie has been produced by Bhushan Kumar and Krishna Kumar and it is co-produced by Ajay Kapoor under the banner of T-Series in the association with the BVG Films. This movie marks the Bollywood debut of Pakistan model turned actor Imran Abbas Naqvi. However, the movie has received the mixed reviews from the critics.
9. Aa Dekhen Zara– The movie ‘Aa Dekhen Zara’ is a Bollywood science fiction thriller movie which is written by Sheershak Anand. The movie features Neil Nitin Mukesh and he played the role of a photojournalist and on the other hand Bipasha Basu who played the role of a disc jockey. Ray got a special camera from his grandfather who was a scientist and after that his whole changes in a way that he could not have imagined in his wildest dreams. The snaps which have been produced by the camera predicts the future and the Ray often uses that camera in winning the lottery numbers and mostly in winning the horses and he also does that on the stock prices.
10. Joker– The movie ‘Joker’ is a 2012 Hindi comedy science fiction movie which is directed by the Shirish Kunder and also his second directorial venture after Jaan-E-Mann. The movie features Akshay Kumar and Sonakshi Sinha in the lead roles. This is the second time when the actress Sonakshi Sinha has been paired opposite an actor Akshay Kumar in the movie titled ‘Rowdy Rathore’. The movie released on August 31, 2012. However, the move has got a mixed review to negative response upon the release of the movie. Though the movie was a big flop at the Box Office.