Blood Vessels in the human body help in transportation of blood in various organs. There are several types of blood vessels which are involved in this process, one of them being veins.
Veins bring back blood from various parts of the body to the heart where it filters and re-circulates.
Some people have hereditary risks of developing varicose veins especially when they stand or sit for long hours their valves become faulty causing varicose veins.
The condition of varicose veins can occur due to several reasons which include aging, poor lifestyle, smoking, hereditary etc.
Dr. Bhavesh Arun Popat, who provides varicose veins treatment in Mumbai, said, youngsters and athletes, can avoid Varicose Veins and its complications by avoiding standing in one position for a long time. Also, certain exercises to tone up the calf muscles should be done.
Symptoms of Varicose Veins
In the initial stage, varicose veins may not cause any kind of pain. However, there are few symptoms that allow you to check that you may have varicose veins.
These symptoms include:
- Veins appear dark purple of blue in color.
- Veins look bulged and popping.
- Sometimes an achy feeling in your leg.
- Feeling pain after sitting or standing for a long time.
- Itching around veins.
- Muscle cramp and swelling in the area around varicose vein.
- Hardening or inflammation in the vein.
Who is likely to get Varicose Veins?
There are certain factors that may increase risk of developing this condition in veins. It includes:
- Older people: It is often said that risk of varicose veins increases with age. Ageing often results in uneven blood flow, which might be a reason for this condition.
- Women: Women tend to develop this condition more likely than men. This is because of major hormonal changes during pregnancy, menstruation or menopause. Other than this, taking birth control pills also tend to increase risk of developing varicose veins.
- Hereditary: If one of your parents or someone in your family tree has this condition, there is a high chance that you may develop varicose veins.
- Obese people: Being overweight puts more weight on veins which may result in varicose veins.
Treatment of Varicose Veins with Laser technology
Laser being a highly focused beam of light is used by the doctors to treat varicose veins.
When doctors initiate laser beam on a vein, the scar tissue forms, which closes the vein. Once the vein closes, it dies eventually because of lack of supply of blood. With time, this dead vein disappears from body.
This form of laser treatment to cure varicose veins is much more effective. It can treat larger varicose veins present in the legs.
This treatment is not very painful and doctors might give a light anesthesia before treating.
In this form of treatment, a laser is passed into the vein through a tube. Doctor watches the vein on an ultrasound screen during treatment.
The recovery time for this type of treatment can take up to a week as you would be required to wear compression stockings.
Benefits of Laser treatment for Varicose Veins?
Treating varicose veins with the help of laser is very beneficial.
Major benefits of treating varicose vein with laser include:
- Less painful as compared to other forms.
- Recovery time is comparatively short.
- This can be done at home and generally doesn’t need a hospital visit.
- Less side effects as compared to vein stripping or other forms of treatment.
Home remedies that may help in Varicose Veins:
Although not completely, these home remedies may help in improving your varicose veins and may decrease discomfort that is being caused by varicose veins.
- Lose weight: Losing weight is a great way to encourage healthy blood circulation and decrease pressure from veins.
- Healthy eating: Keeping a watch on your diet may also improve this condition significantly. You should follow a less-salt diet which will prevent extra water retention and hence no swelling.
- Exercise: Moving is a healthy way to get some good blood flow in veins and it may also help in weight loss part.
- Avoid pressure on calf muscles: For this, you should avoid tight clothes around your calf muscles. Other than this, you should also avoid high heels as low heel shoes make calf muscle work more.
- Avoid sitting or standing at one place for a long time.
Check out this video about the treatment of varicose veins from the endovascular clinic, which is one of the leading varicose veins treatment providers in Mumbai.