Iran dismisses prospect of talks with Trump at UN

Must Read

Howdy, Modi! : World media reactions on Modi-Trump’ grand Houston Event address

New Delhi, Sep 23: United States President Donald Trump and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on late Sunday shared...

Howdy Modi : Modi-Trump mark history in US-India relationship with great show at Houston

Houston, Sep 22:  Modi, delivering his speech at the historic event, talks about the development underwent over five years...

ECI announces dates of Maharashtra & Haryana elections; Single Phase Election on October 21; Result on 24th

Election Commission of India has announced the dates of much-awaited state elections. According to the Chief Election Commissioner, Sunil...
Tehran, Sep 23 (IANS) Iran has dismissed any prospect of talks with US President Donald Trump on the sidelines of the ongoing 74th UN General Assembly (UNGA) in New York, until Washington stops its campaign of “maximum pressure” on Tehran.

Speaking at the Iranian mission to the UN in New York, Tehran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi told the Independent newspaper on Sunday that “maximum pressure” from the US has produced “maximum resistance” from Iran, and that Tehran will continue to resist, reports the state-run IRNA news agency.

He said “to get real negotiations started, this economic war has to end”, in reference to the US sanctions.

“And to end this economic war, we first need a ceasefire in order to do real negotiations and find sustainable solutions,” Araghchi added.

“Not only us, but no country will negotiate under pressure.”

Araghchi however, suggested that Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani would be willing to meet Trump in a multilateral setting if the US returned to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) nuclear deal, which it exited in 2018.

“If Trump returns to the JCPOA, we will again negotiate with the US in the format of a P5+1 meeting,” he said.

Araghchi’s remarks come after Trump said earlier on Sunday that he had no plans to meet Iranian Rouhani during the UNGA.

“Nothing is ever off the table completely, but I have no intention of meeting with Iran,” Trump told reporters at the White House.

On Saturday, the US announced that it was sending more troops to Saudi Arabia in the wake of the September 14 drone attacks on a major oil field and a petroleum processing facility in the Kingdom.

The Yemeni Houthi rebels said they had carried out the attacks. But both the US and Saudi Arabia said Iran was behind them. Tehran has strongly denied their claim.

In reaction to the US announcement, Rouhani on Sunday warned that foreign forces were threatening the security of the Gulf. He called the deployment of such forces in the past a “disaster” and told them to “stay away”.

–IANS
ksk

Disclaimer This article is published directly through a syndicated feed and not edited by The Indian Wire staff.

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Army man Saikhom wins Goa Ironman 70.3 triathlon

Panaji, Oct 20 (IANS) Indian Army Hawaldar...

Marquez claims 10th 2019 MotoGP win in Japan

Motegi (Japan), Oct 20 (IANS) Marc Marquez of the Repsol Honda Team on Sunday grabbed his 10th MotoGP victory this season at the Twin...

Muslims make submission on moulding of relief in Ayodhya case

New Delhi, Oct 20 (IANS) Following uproar, the Muslim side has made public their written submissions regarding moulding of relief, in the Ram Janambhoomi...

Sadhvi Prachi claims threat to life, demands security

Haridwar (Uttarakhand), Oct 20 (IANS) Firebrand Hindu leader Sadhvi Prachi, after the murder of Hindu leader Kamlesh Tiwari in Lucknow, has said that she...

Continuous market downtrend looks to be a thing of the past (Column: Market Watch)

BY ARUN KEJRIWALIt was a great week for the bourses as markets gained on each of the five trading days last week. BSESENSEX gained...
- Advertisement -

More Articles Like This