The Horticultural Producers’ Co-operative Marketing and Processing Society Ltd. (HOPCOMS) was started to form a proper channel for the marketing of fruits & vegetables, which would be beneficial to the farmers as well as the consumers. There was no proper system in Karnataka to save these farmers from the middlemen prior to HOPCOMS. HOPCOMS is under the aegis of the State Department of Horticulture and is managed by a Board of 16 members. The Society has 12,680 members with a paid-up share capital of Rs. 265.90 lakh as on 31st March, 2014. Among the members, eleven members are elected from the elected producers, one member is a government nominee and four members are government officers. The President and Vice-President are chosen from the producers through the voting system.
The farmer members bring their produce to the society. The fruits and vegetables are graded, weighed and then the payment is handed over to the farmers immediately. The Society has procurement centres in Sarjapura, Channapatna, Kanakpura and Hoskote to make the transportation a lot easier. These procured items are supplied to the consumers through the retail outlets of HOPCOMS. There are 257 retail outlets of HOPCOMS, which serves the society by supplying them the fresh fruits and vegetables. It also supplies fresh juices at Rs. 10 per bottle.
- Government Hospitals
- Bulk order for marriages
- Bulk order for social functions
It supplies manures, fertilizers, plant protection chemicals, Gibberelic Acid, Secateurs and other necessary items to the farmers at a reasonable rate.
Turnover during 2013-2014:
Rs. 95 crore & 85 lakh
- Rs. 11.57 lakh had been provided by several Zila Parishads to expand the activities of HOPCOMS.
- Rs. 28.18 lakh had been given as grant from National Horticultural Board for developmental programmes.
- Rs. 448 lakh had been given as grant from NCDC to expand the activities like procurement centres, retail outlets, central godowns, processing units and purchase of vehicles.
- To open Modern Processing Unit.
- To open Procurement Centres around Bangalore Satellite Centres.
- To upgrade the existing retail outlets.
- To open 100 new modern retail outlets.
- To install digital scales in the outlets and godowns under R.K.V.Y Scheme.
- To construct High Tech Walk-In Super Market.
Horticultural Producers Co-operative
Marketing and Processing Society Limited (HOPCOMS)
Lalbagh, Bangalore – 560004
Tel.: 080- 26577552 / 080-26572832