Army gives commanders on LOC nod to hit back against Pakistani action

This move is part of the proactive stance adopted by the Army against Pakistani posts on the LoC since September 2016, when it conducted surgical strikes against terror launch pads in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK).

The Indian Army has lost nine soldiers on the LoC so far this year, and 32 last year.

WITH TENSIONS rising on the Line of Control, the Army has given “adequate freedom” to its commanding officers and post commanders to initiate action and retaliate against Pakistani action on the LOC.

This move is part of the proactive stance adopted by the Army against Pakistani posts on the LoC since September 2016, when it conducted surgical strikes against terror launch pads in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK).

According to sources, the Pakistan has been “shaken” by the proactive stance of Indian soldiers, as reflected in the nearly three dozen ‘Red Alerts’ issued for its posts and civilians on the LoC. Moreover, Rawalpindi-based 10 Corps Commander, Lt General Nadeem Raza, visited a dozen sectors on the LoC in January to address troop morale, sources said.

According to sources, “radio chatter” and reports of burials indicate that 138 Pakistani soldiers were killed and 156 others injured on the LoC due to Indian action last year. This year, they said, Pakistan is believed to have lost 20 soldiers on the LoC with seven more injured.

According to Indian government figures, there were 860 ceasefire violations on the LoC last year, and over 280 this year. The Pakistan government claims that there were 1,970 ceasefire violations by India last year, and 335 this year.
Pak summons Indian envoy
Pakistan’s foreign ministry Thursday summoned the Indian Deputy High Commissioner J P Singh and condemned what it described as “unprovoked ceasefire violations” at the Battal sector on Thursday.
In a statement, Pakistan claimed that the Indian Army had “deliberately targeted a school van carrying school children on Battal-Madharpur road, resulting in the shahadat of the driver of the van, Mr. Sarfaraz Ahmed, leaving the school children severely traumatised.” The statement also warned India against committing a “strategic miscalculation”.