Arun Jaitley, former union minister for finance, has died aged 66 at AIIMS in Delhi earlier today. He was suffering from Cancer. He was admitted to AIIMS on August 9th.
Arun Jaitley passes away
— ANI Digital (@ani_digital) August 24, 2019
With the demise of Arun Jaitley Ji, I have lost a valued friend, whom I have had the honour of knowing for decades. His insight on issues and nuanced understanding of matters had very few parallels. He lived well, leaving us all with innumerable happy memories. We will miss him!
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) August 24, 2019
अरुण जेटली जी के निधन से अत्यंत दुःखी हूँ, जेटली जी का जाना मेरे लिये एक व्यक्तिगत क्षति है।
उनके रूप में मैंने न सिर्फ संगठन का एक वरिष्ठ नेता खोया है बल्कि परिवार का एक ऐसा अभिन्न सदस्य भी खोया है जिनका साथ और मार्गदर्शन मुझे वर्षो तक प्राप्त होता रहा।
— Amit Shah (@AmitShah) August 24, 2019
A stalwart who paid tribute to his simple beginnings by helping those with meagre means . Orator par excellence, legal luminary @arunjaitley ji served the Nation and sangathan with dedication and zeal. My tributes to him. Condolences to loved ones. Om Shanti.
— Smriti Z Irani (@smritiirani) August 24, 2019
Earlier today, there were reports of his health condition deteriorating further. However, AIIMS had not issued any official bulletin on his health since 10th August. He had been on life support since more than a week.
Arun Jaitley has been in politics for a long time. He started as a student leader and rose through the ranks to hold cabinet ministerial post in Atal Bihari Vajpayee, before becoming finance minister under Narendra Modi government in 2014.
He has announced not to hold any responsibility in the new government and since then, he was away from the political world.
Condolences started to pour in as soon as AIIMS declared his death through an official bulletin.
We are deeply saddened to hear the passing of Shri Arun Jaitley. Our condolences to his family. Our thoughts and prayers are with them in this time of grief. pic.twitter.com/7Tk5pf9edw
— Congress (@INCIndia) August 24, 2019
POLITICAL JOURNEY OF ARUN JAITLEY-
- Arun Jaitley began his political career by getting appointed as the president of the Delhi ABVP and All India Secretary of the ABVP.
- Arun Jaitley joined the BJP in 1980. He became the president of the youth wing of the BJP and the secretary of the Delhi Unit in 1980.
- Then he became the member of the National Executive of the BJP in 1991.
- He became BJP spokesperson in 1999.
- After general assembly elections, He took over as the Minister of State, Department of Information and Broadcasting in 1999. He also headed the Ministry of Law, Justice and Company Affairs.
- In 2000, he became the member of the Rajya Sabha for the first time from Gujarat.
- He left the cabinet in 2002 to become the General Secretary of the BJP.
- But in 2003, he rejoined the Union Cabinet as the Minister of Commerce and Industry and Law and Justice.
- In 2006, he was re-elected as the member of the Rajya Sabha. Then again in 2012, he served the Upper house from Gujarat.
- He was also recognized as the Leader of Opposition from 2009-2012.
- On May 26, 2014, after BJP came to power under Narendra Modi’s rule, Arun Jaitley became the Union Finance Minister.