One of the prime accused in the PNB scam was Mehul Choksi had very recently spoken publicly about the accusations and the allegations against him regarding the LOU’s which are involved in the same. The investigating agencies which are looking into the matter have booked the business tycoon under the Fugitive Economic Offenders Act. Under this act, the accused is directed to appear before the court and (which in Choksi’s case is 26th September). If by that time he fails to comply to the directives of the court his assets can be confiscated by the body of law and disposed off.
In its charge sheet, the Enforcement Directorate has said that Choksi allegedly diverted $56.12 million of loan funds to Nirav Modi and about $50 million to Modi’s father Deepak. In defence of the accusations directed towards Mehul Choksi he responded to the media by stating :
“The Enforcement Directorate has attached my properties illegally without any basis”
The tycoon had fled to Antigua and Bermuda after the scam was brought under the public radar earlier this year. Mehul Choksi, who, along with nephew Nirav Modi, fled India in the month of January finally addressed the media after a long period of silence.
“On February 16, I received an email from the passport office which said that my passport has been suspended due to reasons of security threat to India. On February 20, I sent an email to the regional passport office, Mumbai, requesting them to revoke the suspension of my passport. However, I did not receive any reply from the regional passport office,” he claimed further into the interview.
India’s request on Choksi was put on hold by the Interpol after a representation by Mehul Choksi during which he had alleged that the cases against him were a result of ‘political conspiracy’. He had also raised questions about the jail conditions in India, his personal safety and health and similar concerns.