With Lok Sabha elections set to begin today, Google on Thursday marked the commencement of polling in the world’s largest democracy with a doodle. The doodle features right hand marked with the electoral ink on the index finger.
The Google doodle has an inked finger, which when clicked on, leads users to a page that explains the voting procedure. The page also contains information which can be increasingly helpful for first-time voters in the country.
The largest democratic exercise in the world begins today as India General Elections 2019 begins and will go on till May 19. The polls will be held in seven phases that will cover all the 543 constituencies. The Election Commission will count the votes on May 23, and announce the result the very same day.
Step by step process on what to do and How to vote:
- At the polling booth, the first thing would be to get your name checked in the voter list. The official would verify your name after checking your photo id and the voter list. Once verified, you would be asked to move to the next official.
- The second polling officer would place the mark of the indelible ink on your finger that signifies that you have been verified and presented yourself to vote. You would be given a slip and the official would ask you to sign the register to confirm your presence at the polling station.
- Once done, move to the third step and hand over the slip to the third officer and present your inked finger to confirm that you have been verified. The officer would then guide you to the polling booth.
- Voting in the India General Elections 2019 would be done completely with the help of Electronic Voting Machine or EVM. To vote, simply press the button opposite the symbol of the candidate you are wishing to vote for. If you do not wish to select either of the candidates who are listed, you can also exercise NOTA, None of the Above. This is the last button on the EVM machine. A beep sound confirms that your vote has been cast and recorded.
- To verify that it was done properly, a slip would appear in the transparent window of the VVPAT machine. Candidate serial No., Name and Symbol would be visible on the slip for about 7 seconds and then it would drop in the VVPAT box.