No scope for modifications on landfill sites order, says National Green Tribunal

Must Read

Howdy, Modi! : World media reactions on Modi-Trump’ grand Houston Event address

New Delhi, Sep 23: United States President Donald Trump and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on late Sunday shared...

Howdy Modi : Modi-Trump mark history in US-India relationship with great show at Houston

Houston, Sep 22:  Modi, delivering his speech at the historic event, talks about the development underwent over five years...

ECI announces dates of Maharashtra & Haryana elections; Single Phase Election on October 21; Result on 24th

Election Commission of India has announced the dates of much-awaited state elections. According to the Chief Election Commissioner, Sunil...

A bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel said there is no ground to modify the July 17 order.

NEW DELHI: The National Green Tribunal informed that there is no scope for any modification in its order. The issued order had asked Delhi Cantonment Board (DCB) to contribute Rs 20 crore for clearing garbage dumps at Ghazipur, Bhalswa and Okhla landfill sites

A bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel informed that no modifications can be made on the July 17 order

The bench later said that DCB has the leeway to discuss “any other appropriate arrangements” with the Chief Secretary.

The panel also said that there is an imbalance between the amount that DCB has to contribute and the proportion of garbage that it generates. Despite that, the panel had issued the order after careful considerations and discussions with the Chief Secretary.

“Thus even though the liability of DCB may only be for Okhla dump site where garbage from Cantonment is dumped, it is appropriate that the DCB contributes such amount to the huge cost of removing garbage for better air quality of Delhi which is affected by other dump sites also,” the bench said in a recent order.

The clearing of these dumping sites would render cleaner air for people residing in the national capital.

DCB had filed a plea to the tribunal asking for modifications in the order that the green panel had issued. The order demanded a remedial cost of Rs 10 crore. Rs 5 crore and Rs 5 crore respectively towards clearing of landfills in different dumping grounds in the city to curb pollution.

The NGT had earlier contacted the AAP government and other civic bodies. An amount of Rs 250 crore was asked to be deposited in an escrow account. This amount would then have been used for waste removal processes from landfill sites across the city. Failure in compliance with the directive would have resulted in staving off of salaries of concerned officers, the tribunal had warned.

In order to assess the sites and provide technical assistance, a committee was created comprising of Delhi Chief Secretary, secretary of Urban Development, member secretaries of Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) and Delhi Pollution Control Committee (DPCC).

NGT had earlier directed municipal corporations to assess the waste sites and submit an action-taken report to manage the waste in the locations. The tribunal held its stance that essentially, waste management responsibility comes under the purview of municipal corporations.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Prince William and Kate conclude Pakistan visit

Islamabad, Oct 19 (IANS) The United Kingdom's Prince William and Kate concluded their first visit to Pakistan.The Duke and...

69 Palestinians hurt in clashes with Israeli soldiers in Gaza

Gaza, Oct 19 (IANS) At least 69 Palestinians were injured during clashes with Israeli soldiers in Gaza Strip along the borders with Israel, medics...

Jio adds 84.45 lakh new users in August

New Delhi, Oct 19 (IANS) Reliance Jio continued to be the only operator to add new subscribers, as the telecom major added 84.45 lakh...

India Inc responds warmly to invest in MP

Indore, Oct 19 (IANS) The Indian and overseas industrial captains on Friday responded whole-heartedly to Chief Minister Kamal Nath's request to invest in Madhya...

Trump speaks over phone with Erdogan on Syria ceasefire deal

Washington, Oct 19 (IANS) US President Donald Trump said that he had a phone call with his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan, downplaying the...
- Advertisement -

More Articles Like This