Lalbagh Botanical Garden is a popular Botanical Garden in Southern Bangalore. It means the Red Garden in English language. The garden was initiated by Hyder Ali in 1760, who ruled Mysore during that era. It was completed by his son Tipu Sultan. The Thigala community was deployed for gardening as they were specialized in gardening. Lalbagh is spread over an area of 240 acres. The Lalbagh Gardens are based on the design of Mughal Garden, which is at Sira in the Tumkur district.
Tipu Sultan imported various trees and plants to add beauty to the garden, thereby laying the foundation for Horticulture. It is currently under the aegis of the Directorate of Horticulture, the Government of Karnataka. Lalbagh was given the status of a Government Botanical Garden in the year 1856 and thus it is an internationally renowned centre for scientific study of plants. It is one of the best gardens in India for its layout, maintenance, scientific treasure and the scenic beauty.
The botanical garden houses various species of plants imported from various locations of the world. There are 673 genera and 1854 species of plants in the garden. Some of the exotic species include Agathis sp., Amherstia nobilis, Araucaria sp., Averrhoa bilimbi, Bambusa sp., Bixa orellana, Brownea grandiceps, Castanospermum australe, Cola acuminata, Corypha umbraculifera, Couroupita guianensis, Cupressus sp., Eriobotrya japonica and so on. The plants of indigenous origin can also be found in Lalbagh garden. There are various short and long term courses conducted by the Horticulture department to educate the public on various aspects of cultivation.
The Western Gate:
It is situated near Siddapur circle.
The Eastern Gate:
This is a wide road and is ideal for parking vehicles.
The Southern Gate:
This is also referred as the Main gate and is near the Lalbagh road which is next to MTR.
The Northern Gate:
The Glass House is visible on walking, straight from the gate. Many functions and programmes are hosted here. This is the main exit as well.
Renovation details (Jan 15, 2014):
- The total costing was Rs 5 Crore
- The renovation duration was 3 months.
- 60,000 tonnes of glass and 3505 unbreakable panes
- 1,000 sq. mtrs of galvanized steel
- The 2.75 sq mtrs Glass House sandblasted using 75 microns of Zinc Chromide to prevent rusting
- 325 gutters constructed
- Silicon gel used 1,577 litres.
- 75 lunx of illumination work done
- New benches made of cast iron with wooden frames constructed
- Glass House
- The Bandstand
- Lecture Hall
- Lalbagh House
- Pigeon House
- The Directorate building
- Statue of Chamaraj Wadeyar
- Lalbagh Lake
- Aquarium building
- Deer Paddock
- Cameron gate
- Aviary & Kempegowda Tower
- Spacious Parking
- Food stalls
- Toilet facilities
- Photography permitted
- Benches for sitting
- Electrical vehicle
Flower show on Republic & Independence Day.
6.00 am – 7.00 pm
Rs 10 -20 per person
1. The Directorate of Horticulture,
FAX: – 080-26570181
2. The Deputy Director of Horticulture (Gardens),
Ph. No. 080-26578184