In 2006 when Mulayam Singh Yadav was chief minister an order was issued, which barred all contractors holding any criminal records to bid foe PWD contracts handling multi-crore worth contracts. The same has been adopted by Yogi Adityanath government.
Uttar Pradesh Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya has also adopted this system, but with more strictness. State’s additional chief secretary, Sadakant had issued a 28 point order on June 8, which read that though the system was originally of Mulayam SInngh Yadav, but Yogi government has made amendments in it. It is now not possible for any contractor to bid for PWD contracts, who even has single FIR filed against him.
Inn his statement to ET a senior government official told that, though the implementation might slower the work of the government projects and there may be some shortage of contractors for some time, but the process will ultimately clean the PWD of any kind of crime of corruption.
The main characteristics of this system are:
- The no-criminal rule will apply to all contracts, not just those worth above Rs 1 crore as earlier.
- No criminal will be allowed to even bid for a contract.
- If a ‘clean’ contractor bags a project but it is later alleged that he threatened other bidders, the contract will be cancelled if there is a concurring report from the district magistrate (DM) or police.
- Each contractor will also need to submit a ‘self-declaration’ on an affidavit swearing that no criminal case exists against him, or there are any proceedings under the Gangster or Goonda Act.
- DM is also supposed to issue a ‘character certificate’ to each contractor in his jurisdiction, certifying that he has no criminal case against him annually.
- All contracts in UP PWD, all bid documents can be downloaded online and submitted online to avoid any pressure, the new rules states. This will prevent any influence or violence.
- In case an extremely low rate is cited for a contract given “unhealthy competition” and the PWD feels this will be possible only for the contractor if he uses sub-standard material, the contract process can be scrapped after recording the reasons for the same. The same will be the case if an extremely high rate is quoted.