Former Congress MP Priya Dutt on Monday announced that she will not contest the upcoming Lok Sabha 2019 Polls citing ‘personal reasons’. She said while opting herself out from electoral battle, “it’s time to take a break from active politics”. High Profile Politician from Mumbai was first elected to Lok Sabha in 2005 on a Congress ticket from Mumbai North West seat after her father Sunil Dutt‘s death.
She won from the same constituency – Mumbai North West in 2009 but lost to BJP‘s Poonam Mahajan in 2014 when the Congress-NCP combine lost all seats in Mumbai in General Elections 2014. Congress, NCP look to pack deal with equal seats in Maharashtra for 2019 General Elections
However, this time, the Congress was expected to reverse a few of those losses at least, including Priya Dutt’s seat. Now the party will have to begin its search for a new face.
In an official statement, Dutt said, “This constituency never belonged to my father, to me, or for that matter to any one person; it belongs to the people who make it. We come in and are chosen by the people as caretakers and must give an opportunity for fresh and new ideas.”
Ms. Dutt was removed from the post of All India Congress Committee (AICC) secretary in October 2018 since then the news of her disinterest in contesting the elections was making rounds. Priya Dutt has also mentioned disagreements with party colleagues in her statement released today. “To all those in the party who I have had disagreements with, I hope they understand it was never personal. I have only represented what was best for the party, the workers, and my constituents.”
However, clarifying that her decision is purely personal, she said she wants to spend more time with her two sons and the rest of the family, which she could not do in the past due to political commitments.
“The Congress is a party of great minds and young blood. Our country needs a good human being and a compassionate leader, which I truly believe he (Rahul Gandhi) is,” she concluded in her Official Statement.