While BJP and Congress continue to strengthen their protests against the kerala government over the burning issue of Sabarimala, CPI(M)-led Left government in Kerala has secured flattering results in the recent local body bypolls in the state that were held on Thursday.
The important takeaways from the local body bypoll in Kerala are —
CPI(M)-led Left Democratic Front (LDF) :
- Won 21 of 39 local body wards.
- It reflects that the party’s stand on the Sabarimala issue has not set it back.
BHARTIYA JANTA PARTY(BJP) :
- Won 2 new seats.
- Lost a sitting one to LDF.
- Also lost in Pathanamthitta district, where the Sabarimala temple is located.
- Won 11 wards
- Lost 5 from its pre-poll tally of 16.
Socialist Democratic Party of India(SDPI):
- Won 2 seats against one it previously held.
- Won 3 wards.
Kerala Minister for Industries and Sports EP Jayarajan said, “The results are a clear indication for the acceptance of Left government.”
“The BJP and the Congress have been destroyed in this election amidst the Sabarimala issue. This shows the people have accepted our stand in this issue.”
However, BJP state general secretary AN Radhakrishnan said, “We have managed to snatch two new seats from the UDF in Alappuzha. This shows the trend on what is to come in the days.”