After the results of Vidhan Sabha Elections came out yesterday, the Muslim representation in the Telangana Assembly remained unchanged.
The newest state has retained the Muslim representation in the assembly at eight. Out of the total eight, seven MLAs are from All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (AIMIM). They were re-elected from the Muslim-majority constituencies in Hyderabad. And the other one MLA is from Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS). He was also re-elected.
Muslim MLAs from AIMIM are –
- Akbaruddin Owaisi from Chandrayangutta constituency.
- Mumtaz Ahmed Khan (Charminar)
- Ahmed Pasha Quadri (Yakutpura)
- Jaffar Hussain (Nampalli)
- Ahmed Bin Abdullah Balala (Malakpet)
- Moazzam Khan (Bahadurpura)
- Kausar Mohiuddin (Karwan)
Muslim MLAs from TRS are –
- Mohammed Shakeel Aamir from Bodhan in the Nizamabad district.
Shakeel Aamir was one of TRS’s two Muslim candidates.
Congress fielded 7 Muslim candidates but none could make it. Also, BJP’s 2 Muslim candidates and Telugu Desam Party’s only Muslim candidate faced a defeat.