On the occasion of 75th Birth anniversary of Rajiv Gandhi, leaders from all over the country poured their gracious tribute to one of the tallest leaders of India. Rajiv Gandhi was born on 20 August 1944 and he went onto becoming the 6th Prime Minister of India. He was the youngest prime minister of the country at the age of 40 years.
Each year, Congress party observes this day as ‘Sadbhavna Divas’. For celebrating his day, the leaders visited the Veer Bhumi in the national capital and paid floral tributes. Rajiv Gandhi’s wife and Congress interim party president Sonia Gandhi reached the venue with her children Rahul Gandhi and Priyanka Gandhi Vadra. Other senior leaders of Congress party such as Manmohan Singh also gathered at the venue to bid their wishes.
Congress Interim President Sonia Gandhi, Former Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh, Rahul Gandhi, and Priyanka Gandhi Vadra pay tributes to former Prime Minister #RajivGandhi on his 75th birth anniversary. #RajivGandhi75
Picture Credits: ANI pic.twitter.com/ooMUV68QcT
— Times of India (@timesofindia) August 20, 2019
Earlier, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi in a video message shared his party’s plans for celebrating the day. He then said that he will inform the general public on the achievements of his father. Manmohan Singh gave a beautiful speech on the occasion of this auspicious day. Hailing the contribution of Rajiv Gandhi, he called him a “visionary”.
Priyanka Gandhi also shared a heartful piece for her father in a tweeted message.
From my father, I learned how to listen to people’s stories and find a place in my heart for them no matter how contrary to mine they might be.
— Priyanka Gandhi Vadra (@priyankagandhi) August 20, 2019
In various parts of the country, a weeklong celebration was observed with a variety of themes. Like Odisha Congress Seva Dal, OPCC president Shri Niranjan Pattnaik inaugurated planting tree sapling drive with other senior Congress leaders. Congress general secretary KC Venugopal has also officiated his party functionaries to observe Rajiv Gandhi Jayanti at the state, district and block levels with the involvement of the general public at large.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi also took to social media for wishing the late leader.
Tributes to our former PM Shri Rajiv Gandhi on his birth anniversary.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) August 20, 2019
RAJIV GANDHI’S CONTRIBUTION:
- The computer became the symbol of India and the era of IT revolution began
- Telecom revolution in India
- Setting up of world-class IT companies by innovative entrepreneurs like NR Narayana Murthy, Shiv Nadar, and Azim Premji
- Digitized Telephone Exchanges
- Introduction of PCOs in Urban and rural India
- Introduction of Digital reservation for tickets by Indian Railways
- Foundation of Panchayati Raj
- Lowered voting age from 21 yrs to 18
- National Policy on Education (NPE), 1986
- Rajasthan govt reverses name change Order, Centres renamed as ‘Rajiv Gandhi Seva Kendra’
- Congress plans to remind masses about PM Rajiv Gandhi’s contribution on his birth anniversary
- Congress calls meeting of frontal organization, Cells; to discuss plans for Rajiv Gandhi’s birth Anniversary