For the upcoming by-polls in Punjab assembly, Congress party has announced the name of its candidates. Balwinder Singh, Indu Bala, Sandeep Singh Sandhu, and Raminder Awla has been selected as the party’s final choice.
The party released an official statement in this regard under the signature of Mukul Wasnik, who is the general secretary in-charge of Chief election committee of Congress.
Congress party declares the names of four candidates for the upcoming assembly by-elections in Punjab. pic.twitter.com/yKKtIo1EtC
— ANI (@ANI) September 23, 2019
Four assembly seats of Phagwara, Mukerian, Dakha, and Jalalabad in Punjab will go to the polls on October 21. Punjab Chief Electoral Officer S. Karuna Raju announced on Sunday that the notification for the by-polls will be issued on September 23.
What necessitated the by-poll in Punjab?
- Jalalabad and Phagwara seats fell vacant because Sukhbir Badal (Shiromani Akali Dal) and Som Parkash (BJP) were elected to the Lok Sabha.
- Dakha seat fell empty due to the resignation of former Aam Aadmi Party MLA HS Phoolka in January.
- Owing to the death of Congress MLA Rajnish Kumar Babbi, Mukerian seat fell vacant last month.
- The last date for filing the nomination for bypolls is September 30.
- To withdraw one’s name from the nomination papers, the last date is October 3.
- Punjab will go the by-polls with 17 other states on October 21.
- The counting of votes will take place on October 24.