Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) who has in a run-up to the general elections stitched an alliance with Bhartiya Janta party has on Tuesday announced its first list of 5 Candidates for the upcoming Lok Sabha Polls in Punjab. The party has decided to field Bibi Jagir Kaur from Khadoor Sahib Lok Sabha Seat, among Others.
Bibi Jagir Kaur had in past represented Bholath Constituency in Punjab Assembly. She was also a minister in BJP-SAD Government, however, she had a step down in 2012 after a court had sentenced her to five-years imprisonment.
She was later in 2018 December gets clean cheat by the Punjab and Haryana High Court in a case of forcible abortion and abduction of her daughter, Harpreet Kaur.
Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) announces candidates for 5 LS constituencies in Punjab. Bibi Jagir Kaur from Khadoor Sahib, S Charanjit Singh Atwal-Jalandhar (Reserve), Prem Singh Chandumajra-Anandpur Sahib, S. Surjit Singh Rakhra-Patiala&Darbara Singh Guru-Fatehgarh Sahib (Reserve).
— ANI (@ANI) April 1, 2019
The Other names in the list include:
- Bibi Jagir Kaur from Khadoor Sahib
- S Charanjit Singh Atwal-Jalandhar (Reserve)
- Prem Singh Chandumajra-Anandpur Sahib
- S. Surjit Singh Rakhra-Patiala
- Darbara Singh Guru-Fatehgarh Sahib
Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) has already announced its poll alliance with Bhartiya Janta Party, with BJP will contest on 3 Lok Sabha Seats while Shiromani Akali Dal will field its candidates on remaining 10 Lok Sabha Seats. Punjab has a total of 13 Lok Sabha Seats.
In 2014 General Elections, BJP-SAD combine won 6 Lok Sabha Seats with BJP emerged victorious on 2 seats while SAD on 4. Congress who suffered major setback across the nation managed to win 3 Lok Sabha Seats in Punjab while debutant Aam Aadmi Party bagged 4 Lok Sabha Seats.
Election Commission had on March 10 declared schedule for General Elections 2019. General Elections are slated for April-May this year that would spread on Seven Phases starting from April 11 to May 19. Counting of Votes and Results for the mega Battle of ballots will be announced on May 23 four days after the 7th phase of voting.
Punjab for its 13 Parliamentary seats will poll in a single phase on May 19 four days ahead of counting.
- Lok Sabha Polls 2019: With 185 Candidates in the fray in Nizamabad; EC opts for M3 Jumbo Size EVM for Voting
- Lok Sabha Polls 2019: TRS sweeping Telangana; Survey predicts 16 seats for TRS; Asaduddin Owaisi to retain Hyderabad
- Lok Sabha Polls 2019: Congress President Rahul Gandhi to contest from Wayanad in Kerela as Second Seat