Instagram is now the de-facto platform for influencers and content creators because of its tighter focus on photo and video sharing as a service. But the pandemic has changed the way we create and consume content with the focus now turning towards shared Live experiences and interactions. Now, video calls are the norm for personal calling and multi-person virtual conferences the norm for events. Instagram is slowly adapting its Live strategy and now allows creators to add up to three additional people in Live Sessions through Live Rooms.
The new feature of Instagram is called Live Rooms. It is an extension of the existing Live functionality with flexibility of adding two more people in the session than previously allowed. Live sessions can now have four people on the same window and allows for greater flexibility in the topics that can be explored in these sessions. Usually, before this, a Live session could hold only the creator and one additional guest and if users need to add anyone else, they would need to remove the guest previously added.
Live Rooms was tested with some creators in India and the multi-participant video chat format was praised by them. Rollout for Live Rooms has started and will be soon available for everyone in India and Indonesia. Instagram did not mention whether and when this feature will be rolled out to the rest of the world, but we can expect that global rollout will also follow soon, as it did for features like Vanishing Mode and BTS Theme.
Steps to use Instagram Live Rooms
To go live on Instagram –
- Tap the plus sign at the top left hand corner of the stories tray or click the “Create” plus icon at the top right of home navigation bar. Users can also swipe left when theya re on their main Instagram home screen.
- Scroll and tap the Live camera option at the bottom.
- Use the menu at the left to add a title if chosen.
- Tap the circular button to go live.
To add guests to live stream –
- While being already live, tap the Camera/Rooms icon.
- Now users will get to see people that have requested to join their live. They can also search for the guest’s name to send them a request to join live.
- Tap at the guest’s handle to add them.
- Users can then add all three guests at one time, and can also add guests at a later time.