Linux Lite project manager Jerry Bezencon today announced the final release of the Linux Lite 4.4 operating system.
It is based on the Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS (Bionic Beaver) operating system. One of the best things about operating systems based on the Linux kernel is they can sometimes be very lightweight. Linux Lite 4.4 is here with a number of minor changes to the GNU/Linux distribution which is beloved by so many users worldwide. The most important change is the fact that there aren’t beta releases anymore, which were replaced with RC (Release Candidate) images.
The RC information and Build number will only appear on the default wallpaper for that release, Login screen and the Live Boot screen. The positioning of the text is such that it allows room for desktop widgets like Conky and Lite Widget to appear uncluttered on the right,” said Jerry Bezencon.
What’s new in Linux Lite 4.4 :
- Web Browser – Firefox 65.0 Quantum
- Email Client – Thunderbird 60.4.0
- Office Suite – LibreOffice 188.8.131.52
- Media Player – VLC 3.0.4
- Image Editor – Gimp 2.10.8
- System Backup and Restore – Timeshift 19.0.1
- File Manager – Thunar 1.6.15
- Base: Ubuntu 18.04.2
- Kernel: 4.15.0-45
Other important features are:
- Lite Software – added Sound Juicer
- Lite Themes – updated icons
- Lite Welcome – minor changes
- Volume level – the double level volume bug has been eliminated
- Removed all references to Google+ as that service is due to close down on April 2nd, 2019
- Moved from Betas to RC releases
- We have moved from Sourceforge distributed servers to OSDN as OSDN will help to finance our project. Their systems and mirror choices are virtually similar
- Minor bug fixes and improvements
Linux Lite 4.4 can be downloaded from here.
System requirements are very meager — a 64-bit 1Ghz processor, 768MB memory, and just 8GB of storage space.