Iran’s foreign minister Mohammed Javad Zarif has said on Sunday the country’s withdrawal from the nuclear non-proliferation pact (NPT) was one of the “many options” to retaliate against Washington’s re-imposition of the US sanctions on Tehran
During an interview with the state-run IRNA news agency, Zarif stated, “There are many options available to the Islamic republic, and the country’s officials are considering them.” Further, Zarif was quoted by IRNA as saying, “Leaving the non-proliferation treaty (NPT) is one of the options.”
Since last year’s May, when US President Donald Trump pulled America out of Iranian nucle ar deal, Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF Treaty) – also called the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) – the Trump administration was piling up pressure on Iran through numerous US sanctions, according to ANI news reports.
Zarif is slated to pay a visit to North Korea in coming days, according to IRNA media reports on Sunday. The foreign minister, who is on an official visit to the US, during an interview with IRNA said the date has not been yet finalized and will be announced in coming days, according to reports.
Zarif has said on Saturday the US must express seriousness when it comes to the prisoner swap, as Tehran has already shown its seriousness by implementing the nuclear deal.
US CENTCOM chief general Kenneth McKenzie has said on Saturday Washington would adopt all necessary measures and deploy resources in order to counter possible threats by Iran.
- Tehran cautions US of ‘consequences’ over ‘crazy measures’ attempting to block Iranian crude oil exports
- Russia slams US Trump’ tightening Iranian oil sanctions as ‘aggressive’, ‘reckless’ American policy
- Iran denounces US Trump’ decision ending sanctions waivers, terming it ‘principally illegal’
- India ready to deal with impact of US’ decision ending sanctions waivers on Iran’ oil imports: MEA