Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has urged the United States to put an end to its diplomatic sanctions and “maximum pressure” policy on his nation and said Iran would continue to cut down its obligations to the 2015 landmark international nuclear deal, if needed, state-run television reported.
Last year, President Donald Trump pulled America out of the International Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty, under which Tehran agreed to curb its nuclear programme in exchanges for sanction ease and access to foreign trade.
The US has since slapped Iran with sanctions what they call a policy of “maximum pressure”, including ceasing all Iranian crude oil exports.
Tehran pursued several retaliatory steps with a series of steps to reduce its commitments under the INF accord, but claimed it wanted to secure the deal.
Trump, a few times, has said he would be keen to resume nuclear talks with Tehran to pave ways to a new arrangement. Tehran has long stated dialogues are not possible unless America lifts its sanctions.
Bolton stepped down as US NSA on Tuesday. In a tweet, Trump said he had fired Bolton after dismissing some of his advices.
“The departure of U.S. National Security Adviser John Bolton from President Donald Trump’s administration will not push Iran to reconsider talking with the U.S.,” state-run IRNA news agency quoted Iran’s United Nations (UN) representative Majid Takhteravanchi as saying.
He added there were no room for negotiations with the US while sanctions remain in place against Iran, IRNA said.
“The United States should understand that militancy has no profit, and must abandon its policy of maximum pressure on Iran,” Rouhani was quoted as saying.
“Iran’s commitments to the nuclear deal are proportional to other parties and we will take further steps if necessary,” the Iranian president said.