World Court rejects UAE request for special measures against Qatar in 2-year crisis

Must Read

Jharkhand polls for 81 constituencies from November 30 to December 20; counting on 23rd December

Addressing a press meeting today, Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora has announced the poll dates for Jharkhand Legislative assembly....

Congress forms six-member committee of AICC to review situation of NRC in Assam

In a bid to review the condition of Assam state after the implementation of the NRC exercise, Congress party...

Shiv Sena elects Eknath Shinde as party’s legislative leader; Sunil Prabhu appointed as chief whip of party

In a striking breakthrough, Shiv Sena elected senior minister Eknath Shinde as the party's legislative leader today. It has...

The Hague, June 15: The United Nation (UN) top court has on Friday dismissed a request of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to take concrete actions against Qatar in a two-year crisis that escalated tensions in the Gulf region.

Since June 2017, gas and oil-rich Qatar has struggled a diplomatic and economic boycott by its Gulf rivals who have accused Doha of harbouring and supporting terrorism and having close contact with regional rival Iran.

The UAE had asked the International Court of Justice (ICJ) to prevent Qatar “aggravating” the friction, after Doha hailed victory in an alleged case of discrimination against its citizens last year.

ICJ Chief judge Abdulqawi Ahmed Yusuf has stated the court “rejects the request for provisional measures submitted by the United Arab Emirates” by a 15-1 margin, according to Dawn news reports.

UAE has asked for temporary ones to the court, while the court decides over a wider legal battled between Qatar and the UAE over the blockade.

The blow to Abu Dhabi comes shortly after reports of two oil tankers being ablaze in the Gulf of Oman, for what the United States has blamed on Iran.

Qatar’s envoy to the ICJ stated it welcomed the court’s rejects of the “groundless” Arab request. “Qatar brought this case to protect the Qatari people against the UAE’s policy and practice of racial discrimination. It is the Qatari people who are the victims here, and not the government of the UAE,” said Mohammed Abdulaziz Al-Khulaifi.

For two years, Saudi Arabia and allies Egypt, the UAE and Bahrain have blocked Qatari flights from their airspace and airports, imposed banned on most Qatari visitors, as well as, shut their borders.

This year, the UAE went back to the court for the implementation of special measures against Doha. However, “The conditions for the indication of provisional measures… are not met,” the court said in its judgment.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest News

SL polls: Voters asked not to take photos inside booths

Colombo, Nov 15 (IANS) The Election Commission (EC) of Sri Lanka has asked voters not to take photos or...

Bollywood actor Alia Bhatt backed fashion tech startup StyleCracker raises $2 million from AMJ Ventures

StyleCracker, a fashion tech startup, backed by Bollywood actor Alia Bhatt, has raised $2 million investment from AMJ Ventures, cited Mint. The firm StyleCracker will...

Abu Dhabi T10 kicks off with glittering opening ceremony

Abu Dhabi, Nov 15 (IANS) The Abu Dhabi T10 has burst onto the global cricketing scene with an explosive opening ceremony and concert at...

US Senators try to fast-track HK democracy bill

Washington/Hong Kong, Nov 15 (IANS) The US Senate has initiated an expedited "hotline" process to pass the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act,...

‘Ashiqui Mein Teri 2.0’: Himesh Reshammiya’s new version of his own super hit song is out; Check out

After the epic success of the song Teri Meri Kahani that introduced Ranu Mondal, the makers of the upcoming film Happy Hardy and Heer have released...
- Advertisement -

More Articles Like This