Tehran, July 8: Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson Abbas Mousavi on Monday said the nation remains open to diplomatic negotiation and diplomacy to secure its landmark 2015 International Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty with world powers which aimed at curbing Tehran’s nuclear programme and capabilities in return of sanctions relief, as the Islamic Republic exceeded its low-uranium enrichment cap set under the accord.
According to Dawn news reports, Mousavi stated he had no details over how far Tehran had enriched the uranium beyond the cap, though a senior aide to Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei had earlier suggested the nation require 5 percent enriched uranium.
Responding to a question at The Associated Press at a weekly media briefing, Mousavi said, “There is a lot of speculation, so we don’t know,” adding, “We will see what we need.”
Senior Iranian officials reiterated threats of further breaches, stating the nation would continue reducing its obligation to the pact every 60 days unless other European signatories of the accord attempt to prevent it from US sanctions.
China on Sunday claimed the “unilateral bullying” from the United States that has caused Iran to boost its nuclear programme – a cause behind the rising nuclear crisis, a day after Tehran announced it will boost enriching uranium beyond the limit set under its landmark 2015 international nuclear treaty signed with world powers.
Moreover, US President Donald Trump on Sunday warned Iran “to be careful” from America soon after Tehran said it will shortly begin to boost its uranium-enrichment process beyond the limit set under a landmark 2015 international nuclear pact.
British foreign office’s spokesperson said Iran must reverse its actions and immediately cease its activities. The European Union (EU) has strongly urged Tehran to cease its actions that would breach the treaty, stating it was in contact with other signatories nations and hope to set up a joint panel in order to examine the matter.