Ren Zhengfei, the founder of Chinese telecommunication giant Huawei, has hit back at the United States’ efforts to blacklist the giant company, stating that defiantly that the world would not be able to do anything without Huawei and that its “more advanced” technology than any.
According to Dawn news reports, in an interview with the BBC, Huawei founder Ren said: “There’s no way the US can crush us. The world cannot leave us because we are more advanced.”
Ren also denounced as “politically motivated” the arrest his daughter, Meng Wanzhou, also the chief executive officer (CEO) of Huawei, in December last year by Canada over the United States request to extradite her to Washington, who accused Meng of violating the US sanctions against Iran.
Ren said he has objected this, adding, “But now that we’ve gone down this path, we’ll let the courts settle it.”
Ren has been forced to come into the limelight as due to the recent criticism from several countries as the company Huawei has come under escalating pressure over espionage concerns from nations, and the US-led campaign in order to persuade other nations to ban its technology as well as 5G network, the next generation network.
The US prosecutors were also charged Huawei with stealing trade secret data from several entities, stating that it has offered rewards to its employees for stealing such technology from its other rivals. Ren brushed aside the growing pressure.
Ren said, “If the lights go out in the West, the East will still shine. America doesn’t represent the world.”
He added, “Even if they persuade more countries not to use us temporarily, we can always downsize and become smaller.”
The Financial Times has reported on Monday that British intelligence has also concluded that national security risks posed by using Huawei’s 5G equipment can be managed.
“Other nations can make the argument that if the British are confident of mitigation against national security threats then they can also reassure their public and the US administration that they are acting in a prudent manner to allow their telecommunications service providers to use Chinese components,” an unnamed source told the newspaper.