The investigator, who was hired to give a quick check into the release of Amazon’s chief Jeff Bezos’s intimate images, has said on Saturday that he concluded that Saudi Arabia authorities have hacked Bezos’s phone in order to access his personal data.
According to Dawn news reports, the investigator, Gavin de Becker, has linked the hacking to extensive coverage by United States’ The Washington Post newspaper, owned by Bezos, of the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a critic of the crown prince, at Saudi’s consulate of Istanbul last year on October 2.
On his The Daily Beast website, Becker wrote: “Our investigators and several experts concluded with high confidence that the Saudis had access to Bezos’ phone, and gained private information.”
Becker said, “It’s clear that MBS considers The Washington Post to be a major enemy,” while referring to Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman, who was named as “responsible” by the US Senate for the murder of Khashoggi, after a closed-door CIA briefing into the murder case.
However, Becker did not specify which part of Saudi government he was blaming for the hack but released some information on the probe that led him to conclude the kingdom was responsible. He wrote that the result “have been turned over to federal officials”.
Bezoz had hired Becker and associates to figure out who leaked his intimate text messages and pictures to the Enquirer, which has reported over Bezos’s extramarital affairs, leading to his divorce.
Bezos has accused Enquirer publisher American Media Inc, led by David Pecker, of “blackmail” for threatening to publish the intimate photos if he did not halt the investigation.