S Korea, USA mark ‘special measures’ agreement sharing troops’ costs: US state department

Must Read

President Ram Nath Kovind appoints new governor for Kerala, Telangana, Himachal Pradesh and Maharashtra

President Ram Nath Kovind appointed new governors for Maharashtra, Kerala, Telangana, Rajasthan, and Himachal Pradesh on Sunday. https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1168037199767457792 Former Union Minister Kalraj...

NRC list for Assam released; Fear looms as 19 lakh people face exclusion

NRC (National Register of Citizens) for Assam has been published at 10 am today. The final list excludes over...

Lateral Entry Era Begins as Union govt. appoints 9 professionals to Joint Secretary posts

The government has appointed its first batch of private professionals to the post of Joint Secretary in various ministries....

South Korean and the United States have finally reached out to an agreement “in principle” over sharing the amount (cost) of the stationed American troops in the Asian country, the US state department has said on Monday. Both the sides have agreed on a “new special measures agreements”.

According to Reuters news reports, a spokesperson said: “The United States and the Republic of Korea have reached an agreement in principle on a new Special Measures Agreement. Both sides are committed to working out remaining technical issues as quickly as possible.”

As officials from the state department were quoted by CNN news as saying that under this revised agreement, South Korean would enhance its financial contribution into nearly about $1 billion.

The 2014 deal that has expired last year required S Korea to pay around $848 million (960 billion won) a year in order to keep some 28,500 American troops in Seoul. The close allies had also appeared unable to carry out strikes an accord to the renew agreement despite ten rounds of dialogues since last year’s March.

The US President Donald Trump repeatedly stated S Korea need to bear more of the cost, where the American troops stationed since the 1950-53 Korean War.

Earlier, the South Korean news agency Yonhap has quoted a diplomatic source in Seoul as saying Washington has appeared to accept Korea’s request to contribute under the $1 billion in 2019, and also that the deal would further run for a year as being opposed to the previous five-year agreement.

Agency said both sided were expected to mark the agreement as soon in this week, which attributed a compromise to the allies’ efforts to aim at diplomacy with N Korea ahead of Trump second historic meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un scheduled later this month.

S Korean officials said Seoul sought to limit its shares to about $891 million ($1 trillion won) and had made the deal valid for the next three years.

A senior legislator in Seoul’s ruling party has, last month said negotiations were an impasse after the US made “sudden, unacceptable” demand to S Korea to pay about more than $1.25 billion (1.4 trillion won) per year.

The US military has warned Korean employees that they might be put on hold from mid-April if no agreement being reached out.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Injured Nadal pulls out of final two Laver Cup matches

Geneva, Sep 22 (IANS) US Open champion and tennis star Rafael Nadal withdrew from his matches at the Laver...

Congress, Rahul ‘playing politics’ on J&K, says Shah (Lead)

Mumbai, Sep 22 (IANS) Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Sunday attacked the Congress and its former President Rahul Gandhi in the issue of...

Chinmayanand case: In which both parties are culprits and victims

By Sanjeev Kumar Singh ChauhanShahjahanpur, Sep 22 (IANS) Call it the power of the ubiquitousness of technology. The rape and blackmail of the Shahjahanpur...

Carolina Marin caps comeback from injury with China Open win

Changzhou (China), Sep 22 (IANS) Olympic champion Carolina Marin on Sunday beat Taiwanese former world no.1 Tai Tzu Ying to win a second consecutive...

Modi to address Indian diaspora at ‘Howdy Modi!’

Houston, Sep 22 (IANS) Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday would attend the mega 'Howdy Modi!' event being organised at the NRG stadium here...
- Advertisement -

More Articles Like This