Khartoum, August 5: The Sudanese military council and the opposition coalition of civilians and rights group on Sunday inked a constitutional declaration paving a way for a transitional civilian ruling committee seven months after of mass protests and violence.
According to Dawn news reports, under the pact, inked during a ceremony going in capital Khartoum, a joint military-civilian ruling council will oversee the creating of a transitional civilian government, as well as, parliament to rule the nation for a three-year transitional period.
The deputy head of the ruling military council, General Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, and Protest movement leader Ahmed Rabie inked the constitutional declaration at a function attended by the Ethiopian mediators and the African Union.
“We turned a tough page of Sudan’s history by signing this agreement,” Daglo told reporters.
Sudanese ruling transitional military council (TMC) and the main opposition alliance of rights groups and civilian have on Friday agreed over a constitutional declaration aimed at paving way for a fresh period of ruling transitional council.
Mohamed Hassan Labatt, a mediator from the African Union, has announced the development on early Saturday but without offering any details of the agreement, according to BBC news reports.
The long-awaited constitutional declaration agreement triggered commemoration in politically-hit Sudan which has been plunged into consecutive months of crisis.
A draft of the constitution declaration seen by Reuters news organization said the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), blamed for murdering nonconformists, will currently fall under the general direction of the military, and the intelligence administration will be co-managed by the sovereign chamber and the bureau.
The arrangement on the affirmation came after the military gathering reported that nine RSF fighters had been expelled and confined in association with the murdering of nonconformists, including four schoolchildren, this week.