UN threatens to suspend humanitarian aid to war-torn Yemen unless Houthi rebels stops diverting supplies

Must Read

Howdy, Modi! : World media reactions on Modi-Trump’ grand Houston Event address

New Delhi, Sep 23: United States President Donald Trump and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on late Sunday shared...

Howdy Modi : Modi-Trump mark history in US-India relationship with great show at Houston

Houston, Sep 22:  Modi, delivering his speech at the historic event, talks about the development underwent over five years...

ECI announces dates of Maharashtra & Haryana elections; Single Phase Election on October 21; Result on 24th

Election Commission of India has announced the dates of much-awaited state elections. According to the Chief Election Commissioner, Sunil...

Sanaa, May 21: The United Nations has on Monday threatened to suspend humanitarian aid to war-torn Yemen nation if the ruling Houthi rebels do not comply with an agreement which was inked last year and put an end to the diversion of food supplies.

In an official statement, the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) said, “Humanitarian workers in Yemen are being denied access to the hungry, aid convoys have been blocked, and local authorities have interfered with food distribution. This has to stop.”

According to ANI news reports, the UN, which is long-feeding over 10 million people across the war-torn region, also alleged the “obstructive and uncooperative” Houthi rebels are tempering the independent selection of beneficiaries.

The agency’s executive director David Beasley, in a letter to rebels, said, “If the beneficiary targeting and biometric exercise is not carried out as agreed, WFP will be left with no option but to suspend food distribution in the areas controlled by Ansarullah, the Houthis.”

The WFP inked the accord with the Houthi rebels in December and January in the capital Sanaa.

Moreover, the agency had also earlier expressed discontent over the behaviour of the Houthis, and collected evidence which alleged the rebel group of diverting the shipments of humanitarian aid.

Last Sephttps://www.theindianwire.com/world/yemen-houthi-forces-withdrawal-in-line-with-plans-128203/tember, Beasley said, “This conduct amounts to the stealing of food from the mouths of hungry people.”

Last month, Houthi unilaterally reached a final decision to pull out its forces which were stationed in three key ports of the Hodeidah, Ras-Issa and Salif. The UN had said the very-first full-day withdrawal of the Houthi forces from three ports of crisis-hit Yemen went totally “in accordance with established plans”.

The move was seen as a crucial step taken towards ending the very-long civil war in Yemen which kicked off in 2014 after the Houthis captured Yemen’s capital, Sanna.

 

Also read: Houthi forces’ withdrawal from 3 Yemen ports in line with ‘plans’: United Nations

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Turkey’s Syria offensive brings ‘human suffering’: Merkel

Berlin, Oct 17 (IANS) German Chancellor Angela Merkel called on Turkey to stop its military operation in Syria in...

State finances show worrying trend: Report

New Delhi, Oct 17 (IANS) Reflecting slowdown in the economy, monthly finances of 17 state governments show worrying trend with total receipts growing only...

J&K Legislative Council abolished

New Delhi, Oct 17 (IANS) The Jammu & Kashmir administration on Thursday abolished the Legislative Council ahead of bifurcation of the erstwhile state into...

Delhi writes to Centre for adequate supply of onions

New Delhi, Oct 17 (IANS) Food and Civil Supplies Minister of Delhi Imran Hussain on Thursday wrote to Union Consumer Affairs Minister Ram Vilas...

Former teammates to grace dinner in Ganguly’s honour on Oct 25

By Baidurjo BhoseNew Delhi, Oct 17 (IANS) A special dinner will be organised by the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) on October 25 to...
- Advertisement -

More Articles Like This