Geneva, June 8: Fresh sanctions imposed by the United States on Iran’s petrochemical group showed Washington’s offer for holding dialogues with Iranian officials was not genuine, according to Iran’s foreign ministry spokesperson Abbas Mousavi’s statement on Saturday.
According to Reuters news reports, alleged for indirectly backing the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), the US imposed sanctions over Tehran’s largest petrochemical group on Friday, Washington step said to be aimed at removing revenues to Iran’s elite military forces, but however, the analysts have called it largely symbolic.
Earlier this month, US President Donald Trump has stated he was willing to hold direct dialogues with the Islamic Republic.
In an official statement, Mousavi said, “It was only necessary to wait one week until the claim of the president of America about talks with Iran were proven to be hollow,” adding, “The American policy of maximum pressure is a defeated policy.”
Trump has on Thursday said Iran was failing as a country after the imposition of powerful US sanctions on the state last year, adding things could be changed during talks with the leadership in Tehran.
Ahead of a bilateral meeting with his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron in western France, Caen, Trump told reporters, “When I became president, Iran was a true state of terror. They still are and were undisputed champions of terror.”
Trump has criticized ex-President Barack Obama for not curbing Iranian nuclear programme or its role in disputes around the Middle East. Trump called on Tehran to come on the negotiation table to reach a common agreement.