South China Sea : US warship transits through strategic waterway amidst trade war

Must Read

Jharkhand polls for 81 constituencies from November 30 to December 20; counting on 23rd December

Addressing a press meeting today, Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora has announced the poll dates for Jharkhand Legislative assembly....

Congress forms six-member committee of AICC to review situation of NRC in Assam

In a bid to review the condition of Assam state after the implementation of the NRC exercise, Congress party...

Shiv Sena elects Eknath Shinde as party’s legislative leader; Sunil Prabhu appointed as chief whip of party

In a striking breakthrough, Shiv Sena elected senior minister Eknath Shinde as the party's legislative leader today. It has...

Washington DC, Sep 14: An American navy warship has on Friday transited through strategic South China Sea, in defiance of Beijing’s resistance to such moves, in the midst of intense trade war, further irking China, the US military said.

US Navy’s Seventh Fleet spokesperson Commander Reann Mommsen told Reuters the warship, Wayne E. Meyer, had challenged disputed territorial claims in the recent operation, including what she termed as additional Chinese claims across the Paracel Islands – also claimed by Vietnam and Taiwan.

“…China has attempted to claim more internal waters, territorial sea, exclusive economic zone, and continental shelf than it is entitled under international law,” Mommsen said.

The Chinese foreign and defence ministeries were no available for immediate comments over a request, according to Reuters news reports.

In another attempt to reduce the ongoing trade tensions with the US, China’s Customs Tariff Commission of the State Council on Friday announced that it would exempt some agricultural and livestock products such as soy and pork from additional tariffs imposed on American products.

The decision comes two days after China on Wednesday announced that it would postpone the application of tariffs on 16 US products until September 2020, instead of the previously announced deadline of September 17, reports Efe news.

The United States and China have on Thursday agreed to resume high-level bilateral trade talks in early October in Washington DC amid an intense trade war between two world’s largest economies.

According to Strait Times, the fresh dialogues were discussed during a telephonic conversation between US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and Chinese vice premier Liu He, the Chinese commerce ministry stated in an official statement.

 

Also read: Trade War : US-China consent to resume bilateral high-level talks in October

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest News

BRICS nations to deny safe haven to economic offenders

Brasilia, Nov 15 (IANS) The BRICS nations on Thursday reaffirmed their commitment to fighting corruption, and joining multilateral efforts...

Modi bats for boosting intra-BRICS trade to $500 bn

Brasilia, Nov 15 (IANS) Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday pushed for boosting intra-BRICS trade and investment and urged that a roadmap be readied...

Manushi Chillar to star opposite Akshay Kumar in ‘Prithviraj’

Mumbai, Nov 15 (IANS) Miss World 2017 Manushi Chillar is making her Bollywood debut opposite Akshay Kumar in the upcoming film "Prithviraj".Directed by Chandraprakash...

Mamata continues to avoid comment on Ayodhya verdict

Kolkata, Nov 14 (IANS) Six days after the Supreme Court verdict on the Ayodhya dispute, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday parried...

JNU protesters charge administration with ‘damaging campus’

New Delhi, Nov 14 (IANS) Agitating Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) students, who allegedly vandalised the varsity's administration block, charged the "administration and their cronies"...
- Advertisement -

More Articles Like This