AB de Villiers : Didn’t demand to be included in SA World Cup squad

Must Read

Jharkhand polls for 81 constituencies from November 30 to December 20; counting on 23rd December

Addressing a press meeting today, Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora has announced the poll dates for Jharkhand Legislative assembly....

Congress forms six-member committee of AICC to review situation of NRC in Assam

In a bid to review the condition of Assam state after the implementation of the NRC exercise, Congress party...

Shiv Sena elects Eknath Shinde as party’s legislative leader; Sunil Prabhu appointed as chief whip of party

In a striking breakthrough, Shiv Sena elected senior minister Eknath Shinde as the party's legislative leader today. It has...

New Delhi, July 12 (IANS) Former South Africa captain AB de Villiers has denied that he made any demand to be included in the national squad for the ICC World Cup in England and Wales.

de Villiers, who retired from international cricket in May 2018, said that he had been asked at the time if he would be available if South Africa needed him for the World Cup. He had said that he would be and had repeated the same during a private conversation with Proteas captain Faf du Plessis during the 2019 edition of the Indian Premier League.

“Faf and I have been friends since we were at school together and two days before the World Cup squad was announced, I contacted him for a chat,” de Villiers said in a statement the screenshots of which were posted on his social media handles.

“I had been in decent form during the Indian Premier League and casually repeated what I had said when asked a year earlier, that I was available if required… but only if required. I made absolutely no demand at all. I certainly did not try to force my way into the World Cup squad on the eve of the tournament, and did not expect to be included. There was no burning issue from my side, and no sense of injustice,” he said.

The controversy arose after it was revealed that de Villiers had allegedly demanded to be included in the South Africa squad just after their defeat to India in the World Cup. The Proteas had a dismal tournament in England and Wales as they crashed out of the group stage with just three victories in nine outings.

de Villiers came in for criticism after the story broke and while the 35-year-old clarified that he had not demanded anything from du Plessis or the South African team management, he held no grudge against anyone for leaking the story.

“Out of the blue, on the evening after the Proteas lost to India, suffering a third successive World Cup defeat, elements of our private conversation were disclosed to the media, and distorted to cast me in the worst possible light. The story was not leaked by me, or anybody associated with me, or by Faf. Maybe someone wanted to deflect criticism. I don’t know,” he revealed.

“As a result, I was unfairly described as arrogant, selfish and indecisive, but with all humility, my conscience is clear. I retired for honest reasons and, when asked if I could be available for the World Cup, I agreed to keep the door open. In the event, understandably, the team moved on. No problem. I am not angry with anybody,” de Villiers said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest News

UK’s Prince Andrew steps back from public duties over scandal

London, Nov 21 (IANS) The United Kingdoms Prince Andrew has announced he is stepping back from royal duties over...

When Julie Andrews watched a ‘wild’ fake orgy on film set

Los Angeles, Nov 21 (IANS) Actress Julie Andrews has revealed that she had watched a 'wild' fake orgy scene on the set of her...

Joan Collins hates wearing jeans

Los Angeles, Nov 21 (IANS) Actress Joan Collins does not like wearing jeans.In an interview to Vogue magazine, the "The Stud" actress shared her...

Donald Tusk elected as new EPP leader

Zagreb, Nov 21 (IANS) The European People's Party (EPP) elected outgoing President of the European Council Donald Tusk as its new leader at annual...

US govt grants export licenses for some Huawei’s suppliers

Washington, Nov 21 (IANS) The US government has started to issue licenses to some US suppliers, allowing them to resume shipping to China's telecom...
- Advertisement -

More Articles Like This