Kulbhushan Jadhav case: MEA spokesperson Raveesh Kumar says Pakistan offers consular access after ICJ verdict

kulbhushan Jadhav ICJ

New Delhi, August 1: Pakistan offered consular access to imprisoned Indian national, Kulbhushan Jadhav, on Thursday, some ten days after the ICJ (International Court of Justice) ruled Islamabad to take such actions at the Hague.

According to News18, Raveesh Kumar, the spokesperson for the Indian ministry of external affairs, confirmed New Delhi received Pakistan’s proposal.

Addressing a weekly media briefing in New Delhi, Kumar said, “We are evaluating it in the light of the judgement of the ICJ, we will maintain communication with Pakistan in this matter through diplomatic channels.”

He added, “This is not the appropriate forum to discuss modalities.”

Kumar said, “The proposal sent by Pakistan is being evaluated by us as per the guidelines given by ICJ. Whatever response is to be sent will be given by us timely through diplomatic channels.”

The ICJ had on July 17 stated Pakistan breached the Vienna Convention on 1963 Consular Relations, by failing to convey Jadhav his rights to hold talks with the Indian consular.

After the appearance of ICJ verdict on Kulbhushan Jadhav case, Islamabad had assured it will work in line with the laws, saying Jadhav had been notified about his rights to access consular under Article 36, Paragraph 1(b) of the Vienna Convention.

The Pakistan foreign ministry had said “modalities are being worked out” in order to grant Jadhav consular access.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here