UNSC criticizes Sri Lankan ‘heinous’, ‘cowardly’ terrorist attacks; Calls to hold perpetrators accountable

The United Nations security council (UNSC) has condemned the series of “cowardly” and “heinous” terrorist attack on Monday that has rattled Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday.

According to ANI news reports, the UNSC has also underlined the importance of holding the perpetrators accountable for the eight consecutive blasts in the country.

In an official statement, the UNSC was quoted by TASS as saying, “The members of the security council condemned in the strongest terms the series of heinous and cowardly terrorist attacks that took place in St. Anthony’s Shrine in Colombo, St. Sebastian’s in Negambo, Zion Church in Batticaloa, the Shangri-La, Cinammon Grand, and Kingsbury hotels in Colombo, as well as three explosions across Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday, 21 April 2019, which resulted in nearly 300 killed and hundreds more wounded.”

The members of the UNSC has underlined the importance to hold perpetrators, organizers, financiers, and sponsors of these reprehensible acts of terrorism accountable and bring them to justice, and urged all states, in accordance with their obligations under international law and relevant security council resolutions, to cooperate actively with the government of Sri Lanka and all other relevant authorities in this regard.

Several nations such as the United States, the United Kingdom, and India have also condemned Sri Lankan terrorist attacks.

Also Read: Sri Lanka blasts: Sushma Swaraj says India under process to identifying Indian deaths

India’s external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj has on Monday stated the process to identify the deaths of Indian amongst those people reportedly killed in the eight continuous blasts that had rattled Sri Lanka on Sunday, was underway.

According to ANI news reports, Sri Lankan authorities have also begun an investigation into one of the worst violence, which Sri Lanka has suffered since the end of its civil war at least 10 years ago. Sri Lankan authorities have so far arrested 24 suspects in connection with the 8 consecutive explosions.

In a tweet, Swaraj said, “I have just spoken to Taranjit S. Sandhu, Indian High Commissioner in Colombo @IndianSL. We are identifying Indian amongst those killed in the blasts.”

She further added, “Please get in touch with High Commissioner for any help on Phone nos. +94777903082, +94112422788, +94112422789. ”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here