There are few movies in the Bollywood in which the makers of the movie have tried to portray the real character and that focuses on the believable story rather than just an entertainer. However, now the mindset has also inspired Bollywood filmmakers to try biographical movies based on the popular personalities.
Generally, a biopic is a film that features the life story of a real-life person or it focuses on the incident that involves that person. In the Bollywood world, there are a lot of movies that have got unnoticed and it is all because of the lack of media coverage. Now, the things are changing in the Bollywood. The film industry has begun acknowledging some lives and their achievements as well as take it as their responsibility to tell their life story on the big screen.
1.Bhaag Milkha Bhaag – The movie ‘Bhaag Milkha Bhaag’ is a sports biopic movie which is based on the life of our own Flying Sikh, which is popularly known as the Milkha Singh. The movie has been directed by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra. This movie marks as the first biopic film in India. It features actor Farhan Akhtar in the titular role as Milkha Singh.
2. M.S Dhoni: The Untold Story – The movie which got released in the year 2016 and even this movie is another sports biographical drama. The story of the movie is based on the life of an Indian Cricketer and a former Captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni. The movie has been directed by director Neeraj Pandey. However, the movie reveals some of the unknown and interesting facts about M.S Dhoni and his life beyond his cricketing career. An actor Sushant Singh Rajput played the role of M.S Dhoni in the movie alongside actress Disha Patni, Kiara Advani, Bhumika Chawla, and Anupam Kher in the very important roles.
3. Neerja – The movie which is based on the Hindi biographical thriller film and the movie feature actress Sonam Kapoor in the lead. The movie is based on the incident in Neeraj Bhanot’s life where she valiantly saves 359 of the 379 passengers when the airplane got hijack attempt of Pan Am Flight 73 in Karachi, Pakistan. The movie has been directed by Ram Madhvani and the movie narrated from the point of view of the Neerja and the movie also highlights the trauma which has been faced by her family during this whole incident. However, Sonam Kapoor played the titular role in the movie, she played Neerja Bhanot, whereas Shabana Azmi plays her mother in the movie.
4.Mary Kom – The movie ‘Mary Kom’ is another sports biopic movie which drops on the list of the Best Biopics of all the time. However, the movie is based on the life of the former Indian Olympic boxer Mary Kom. The movie which is directed by Omung Kumar. It features actress Priyanka Chopra in the lead where she played the role of a Mary Kom. The movie ‘Mary Kom’ depicts the Mary Kom’s life and the struggles as she has faced while she was pursuing her passion to become the boxer and she represents the country India at the international level.
5. The Dirty Picture: The movie with a title ‘Dirty Picture is not officially a biopic but certainly resembles the life of the South Indian actress with a name Silk Smitha. Silk Smitha was very much popular for her erotic roles. The movie ‘The Dirty Picture’ has been directed by the Milan Luthria and the movie actually highlights the life of the actress Silk. Bollywood actress Vidya Balan played the role of Silk Smitha in the picture where the movie shows her journey to stardom as well as her eventual death. However, along with the actress Vidya Balan, the movie also features Naseeruddin Shah, Emraan Hashmi and Tushar Kapoor in the lead.
6.Paan Singh Tomar – Even this movie has been listed in the sports biopic films. The movie features Paan Singh Tomar as a terrible ending compared to the other movies as this movie features the life of the athlete that turned bandit Paan Singh Tomar. The movie has been directed by the Tigmanshu Dhulia and the movie features Irrfan Khan in the titular role. However, the movie depicts the story of a Gold medalist soldier that is from the Indian army at the Indian National Games and that become the renowned bandit in the Chambal valley.
7. Bandit Queen – The film which is based on the very known Indian bandit named Phoolan Devi. The movie has been directed by the Shekhar Kapur and the story of the movie depicts the life and the atrocities which are faced by the Phoolan Devi. She was gang-raped and was also abused by the policemen and other men from those who belong to the upper caste. The movie is basically a vow for the revenge and her transition from Phoolan Devi to Bandit Queen. The movie features Seema Biswas in the titular role of Phoolan Devi.
8. Dangal – The movie ‘Dangal’ released in 2016 and it is again the sports biopic which features the life of the Phogat sisters. The movie has been directed by the Nitesh Tiwari. The film features Bollywood actor Aamir Khan as in the role of Mahavir Singh Phogat. The movie ‘Dangal’ revolves around the story of a Phogat family and Mahavir Singh Phogat’s guest to train two of his daughter, Geeta, and Babita. With his training, they won the Gold medal at the world stage.
9. Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose: The Forgotten Hero – The movie which released back in 2004 and this movie is highly dominated by the sports biopic movie and now the time has come for a change. The movie which is directed by Shyam Benegal and the movie is said to be a war film and the movie revolves around the life of Subash Chandra Bose. The titular role in the movie has been played by the Sachin Khedekar in the titular character and that depicts the life of the Netaji In Nazi Germany and that is from the period of 1941- 1943 as well as the Japanese-occupied in the Asia which is from 1943- 1945 and that eventually lead to the formation of the Azad Hind Fauj.
10. Sarabjit: The movie ‘Sarabjit’ is an Indian national convicted movie on the terrorism and spying by a Pakistani court. However, he tried a lot convicted by the Supreme Court of Pakistan for a series of bomb attacks in the Lahore and in Faisalabad and that incident killed the 14 bystanders in the year 1990. On the contrary, Sarabjit has claimed that he was a farmer who strayed into Pakistan from his village that has been located on the borders and that took place three months after the bombing. Sarabjit has been working as a spy for the Indian Research and Analysis Wing intelligence agency and had been working as an undercover agent in Pakistan. The biographical movie which has been produced by the Vashu Bhagnani and directed by Omung Kumar. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan played the role of Sarabjit Singh’s sister, Dalbir Kaur. While on the other hand, Randeep Hooda and Richa Chada played the role of a Sarabjit Singh and his wife Sukhpreet respectively. However, the movie has been narrated on from the perspective of Sarabjit’s sister Dalbir Kaur and the movie got released on May 20, 2016, in India. Though the Central Board of Pakistan banned the movie from being anti-Pakistani.