New Delhi: Amid the Indo-China border conflict, Union Defence Minister on Wednesday said that no “meaningful solution” has come out of diplomatic and military level talks with China to solve the standoff on the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in eastern Ladakh and there is “status quo”.
Union Defence Minister an interview with ANI Editor Smita Prakash, said that if the status quo continues, there cannot be a reduction in the deployment of troops.
Rajnath Singh alluded to the Working Mechanism for Consultation and Coordination (WMCC) meeting on India-China Border Affairs (WMCC) held practically recently and said the following round of military talks can happen anytime.
“It is true that to reduce the standoff between India and China, talks were taking place on a military and diplomatic level. But no success has been achieved so far. There will be a next round of talks on a military level which can take place anytime. But no meaningful outcome has come and there is status quo,” he said.
“If there is a status quo, it is natural how deployment can be reduced. There will be no reduction in our deployment and I feel their deployment will also not come down. I don’t think that the status-quo is a positive development at all. Talks are on and they result in a positive outcome, that is our expectation,” he added.
“On what issues talks will be held, an exchange of messages is taking place between the two countries,” he said.
The External Affairs had said after the WMCC meeting on December 18 that the two sides consented to keep up close counsels at the diplomatic and military level.
It said they concurred that the following (ninth) round of Senior Commanders meeting should be held at an early date so the two sides can pursue early and complete withdrawal of troops along the LAC by the current respective arrangements and conventions, and completely reestablish harmony and serenity.