MHA refuses to share timeline for J&K detainees’ release

The Ministry of Home Affairs refused to share any timeline for the release of political detainees in Jammu & Kashmir.

Speaking in the Upper house, Minister of State for Home G. Kishan Reddy said that inputs indicate illegal money is being sent from across the border through hawala channels to finance terror activities, stone pelting, and attacks on security forces in J&K.

He said, “Investigations have revealed that several groups and activists who are part of the Hurriyat are behind stone pelting incidents in the valley. NIA has chargesheeted 18 persons in the terror funding cases so far.”

As per reports, 5,161 persons including stone pelters, Over Ground Workers, separatists, and others were taken into preventive custody in Kashmir Valley since August 4, in order to prevent commission of offences involving breach of peace, activities prejudicial to the security of the state and maintenance of public order, .

Out of these, 609 persons are under preventive detentions. Since, these detentions have been made under statutory provisions by the concerned magistrates based on their satisfaction in each case, it is not possible for the government to give any timelines for their release, he said.

Prominent detainees in Kashmir include former Chief Ministers Farooq Abdullah, who is a sitting MP from Srinagar, Omar Abdullah and Mehbooba Mufti.

National Conference chief Farooq Abdullah was detained under Public Safety Act (PSA) in his home at Gupkar Road in Srinagar while Omar has been lodged in Hari Niwas and Mehbooba was recently shifted to a government accommodation from Chashma Shahi after the onset of winter.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here